This is a snapshot of the forum as it was on Thursday 2nd Dec 2021. Not everything will work.
It is not possible to login, edit or make any changes and is provided for prosterity for those who wish to view the old content.
C.A.M.F.C - Members & Visitors area

Re-Covering Magnatilla

Have a second hand Maggy that is looking a bit sad and I would like to re-cover. Before I dive in, is the fact that the tail/fin are permanenty attached to the fuselage likely to hamper things too much (I presume they would have been covered prior to gluing in place by the original builder). Also, I'll have to cut the cyano hinges, but hopefully I can just re-slot in a slightly different place. Any tips on approaching this kind of job from someone who has tried a re-cover job?

• Club Members

Arun, I covered my Maggie with the tail attached. Just cover each surface separately starting at the bottom and overlap the covering in the corners. Do the fin last so that the covering overlaps the tailplane covering.

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk 2

• Club Members

a good covering for a maggie is Solartex antique, but your choice, of course.

As for the hinges, slice them to remove the moving surfaces, then slide your blade down each side, grip with pliers, and pull them out.

Some may resist, so if difficult, sand flush, and refit new hinge position close by.

I mostly use hinges with pins, but thats a choice you have to make.

I might suggest covering the moving parts while they are detached from the airframe, and fit them afterwards.

Have fun,

TTFn Oily :wink:

• Club Members

I have in the past just sliced a new hinge slot in the same position as the old cyano hinge, just run a blade down the side of it without removing the old hinge as long as it is securely fixed. These hinges are so thin anyway that doing this doesn't displace the control surface too much. If you pull them out it can sometimes leave a big hole in the wood.