This is a snapshot of the forum as it was on Thursday 2nd Dec 2021. Not everything will work.
It is not possible to login, edit or make any changes and is provided for prosterity for those who wish to view the old content.
C.A.M.F.C - Members & Visitors area

Cougar 2000 V2 - Repair in progress

So my Cougar is finally complete.I'm running Hitec HS322HD servos for ailerons, rudder and elevator. Due to the small space in funfly aircraft, I'm using a HItec HS81 micro for the throttle. An X6R receiver fits in nicely. I'm using an ASP 36 from Just Engines, complete with a 11x3 prop. All in all it should be just the right plane to do what I want to do. Also, I'm told by MrWestonUK that if my "Rubbishy little engine" can handle it, I should be able to prop hang with ease. I don't know who he thinks he's fooling, The weston eurotech 36TIR is a codeword for Rip - Off and dodgeyness. Two thing that I have as problems are that the throttle is VERY twitchy so expo is needed badly (Rod and Emay). The other thing is the kit didn't come with enough bolts to fit all of the horns down with four each.

This Sunday should be the maiden flight, with the wind at 5mph. The only niggle is my mum has the car, but we will work something out, I should think.

Roll up funfly, I am ready for ya!!!

See you at the field,

Ben

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tadaaaaaaa   Elevator and rudder aren't connected and there is no radio, but so far so good. I'll be running the engine tommorrow to see if the props are ok

Thought I'd return to this 2 1/2 years later, just to say that I have recently converted my current Cougar to electric power. To say I am happy with it is an understatement, and I am sure that there w

Posted Images

Looking good :)

Them elastic bands, look like the ones you may not want to use for flying! :?

The big white ones are best! You have likely seen tons of them being used at the field!

• Club Members

Yes we know what you had done was only for photos, but while on the subject...........

Yes, White bands sold for model use........lots of sizes.......use a size that holds firmly without crushing but cannot allow the wing to move. I have seen more than one "variable incidence" plane come close to disaster!!

Also double up ALL bands. Put the first ones on parallel to Fus, then the second ones over that diagonally which helps to hold the whole lot on the posts. CHECK every use for perishing!!

And keep all elastic bands in a small container with some talcum powder to keep them supple and oil free. Shake it well after replacing used bands. When using, shake the excess off, preferably with someone you don't like downwind, before use.

PS I use unscented talc, it avoids unwanted comment.........................

• Club Members

Oh, and on the Cougar, there is very little clearance between the std length carbon band posts, attached bands, and the inner edge of the Ailerons.............check they cannot foul during flight!!

AND....be VERY careful where are you going to take it and even more store it at home once used , as Cougars with an oiler on the front are not exactly clean devices!!! Wipe it clean, don't miss the underside of the tail, and Plug the Exhaust before it goes in the car!! It'll leech oil drops after use for days!

It is actually a good idea to paint fuel proofer down every join in the film, as Cougars, like many mass produced ARTF, can shed film once oil starts penetrating underneath.

The bands are just for photos, as my flight ones are in my flight box and I couldn't be bothered to get them.

The ailerons do move and have got a bit of leeway, despite what it looks like.

I do know about the oil issue, and will proof the fuselage because I need the cougar to hopefully last..

:D

• 4 weeks later...

Following a battery/rx fault, my cougar decided it wanted to be a burrowing rabbit.....

REPAIR WORK IS IN PROGRESS

The fuselage looks horrible, but is insanely strong, the wing looks and is terrible, cracked spars and ribs + holes everywhere.

Fuselage repair almost done, BUT wing repair, not even started, I need advice.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Fuselage is now done, horizontal stabiliser is on, engine needs to be mounted, fuel tank in. The vertical stabiliser is the problem as the rudder has come off (no biggie),and the section that the rudder attaches to and goes into the fuselage has no carbon spar as it shattered, has anyone got any ideas? The wing is a pain but it is coming on well. Meanwhile the expression needs to be plumbed and the r/c bits put in. I have also just had to order a new wing after the esc went alight and melted the rear. I was putting a slightly bigger prop on. The motor and airframe has had it, but the servos, battery and rx are ok. Strangely, this has happened before (see lipo fire post) with the same esc that I assumed to be ok....

I will post more pics of the cougar soon

B

Presenting my multitude of projects. Cougar, Expression and tek sumo. Plus my new workshop.

Expression engine mounted, tank plumbed, servos mounted. All in need to do is re-cover the tail and get a rx.

• Club Members

I wish I had that much space!

The main gear looks a long way back on the Xpression - it looks like it would be very likely to tip over on its nose.

If you find that this is the case, you could either make a new wire undercarriage with much more of a forward sweep, or see if you can angle the whole assembly forward a bit (not pretty, but it should do the job).

I assume that it's where it is because of the battery hatch that had been cut out of the underside of the nose? Did you glue this back in? One other approach to moving the gear forward would be to replace the rear part of the hatch with some plywood, firmly epoxied to the rest of the structure with plenty of reinforcement, and mount the main gear to that.

It'll be good to see it in the air though, after it sat around my house for so long!

My new Tek Sumo. Turningy NTM prop drive 28-26 1500kv giving 800g of trust. Two HXT900 9g servos. A HEXFETA 25amp ESC. VR-II 4 channel FRSKY rx.

Hobbyking recommend a 1000mah 3s, but I put the same 2200mah I use in my wot 4 foamie.

All ready to go. It's not too loud, so I will see if I can have one flight HIGH up. IT shouldn't make too much at 150ft???

Stay High (you know what I aeronautically mean, and not....)

B

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Got a fin and ailerons from Emay. Wing should be done in the next few weeks....

How would I remove epoxy?

The vertical stab is in crooked and its epoxied.

Has anyone got a spare vertical stab as Weston ask £25!!!

B :wink:

Pilot Ben said:
How would I remove epoxy?

The vertical stab is in crooked and its epoxied.

Has anyone got a spare vertical stab as Weston ask £25!!!:

I've spent many an hour removing / trying to remove epoxy's " or any type of glues"! And all I can say is, for this model :-

Maybe just re-make a new vertical stab part!!!! On the C 2000, it has some shape to it, but its not a work of art rudder posted, like some models have!

But its up to you, in the end!

P.s I don;t want to say what I have done to remove glues, as it could lead to you hurting your self etc. etc.

So as per last time I'm running Hitec HS 322HD's for my ailerons, rudder and elevator. I'm still running a HS81 for throttle. I'm using a big 6V 2500mah rx battery, which is a very big battery for a funfly plane, but I'm using a lightweight OS MAX 35-AX, which should balance out ok. I'm using an X6R receiver as usual.

It's also the new cougar, so it has a new colour scheme, which should make it stand out. Other than that I'm waiting for my arm to heal so I can build it!

B :wink:

• Club Members
Pilot Ben said:
It's also the new cougar, so it has a new colour scheme, which should make it stand out.

Pricks ears up......................new scheme?? Picture anywhere you know of please??

The website is still showing the transparant purple/yellow that has been around for ages, but my Cougar does not have long to live being quite soft round the wing root and oil soaked tail now and I don't like the current scheme, so would be interested if different.............

I take it that is the Cougar 2000 V3, then?

Me and E.T looked at the new / latest cougar 2000 in a box, at Headcorn show this year and it looked the same :? "When I say new or latest, that's what he said"..........But anyway, a salesman/woman is going to say anything to sell :lol::roll:

I think I've only had V1 and V2 "IC only"....as mine never came with the air intakes for esc/battery cooling! Which I did see in the Cougar box at the show!

Lets hope its a step on from the C2000 v2, e.g like the newish Hype 3D R is, over the Hype 3D!

As you said there nothing out there on the web about this! Lol you would have thought http://www.westonuk.co.uk/ , would have something up about it on there website......Also none of the main steam online rc modelling site/shop to :?

• Club Members

Pink, Eh? That'll go down well with the tens of thousands of female modellers.

For electric, never mind cooling scoops (cut plastic spoons are OK), it's the battery hatch that's needed as no way would I keep removing the wing.

Bravedan said:
Pink, Eh? That'll go down well with the tens of thousands of female modellers.

For electric, never mind cooling scoops (cut plastic spoons are OK), it's the battery hatch that's needed as no way would I keep removing the wing.

I like Pink :oops:

Indeed, the new Hype 3D R has a removable canopy = easy to get to the battery! And also 2 piece wing as well.......