This is a snapshot of the forum as it was on Thursday 2nd Dec 2021. Not everything will work.
It is not possible to login, edit or make any changes and is provided for prosterity for those who wish to view the old content.
C.A.M.F.C - Members & Visitors area

Cougar 2000 V2 - Repair in progress

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tadaaaaaaa   Elevator and rudder aren't connected and there is no radio, but so far so good. I'll be running the engine tommorrow to see if the props are ok

Thought I'd return to this 2 1/2 years later, just to say that I have recently converted my current Cougar to electric power. To say I am happy with it is an understatement, and I am sure that there w

Posted Images

To be honest, a cougar is meant to be a gasser. If you want a leccy funfly plane then get a fusion!!!!

Weston may have just covered it in pink for the show. Weston's site also says to pre order the new cougar, when in fact I phoned Alan and he has hundreds of kits.

I always thought the cougar had an iffy history with colour. Red and blue or something. Just leave all the purple and pink on the shelf! It's really hard to find matching purple spinner and fuel tubing!!!

I think the only problem with Weston is that once they realise they have a brilliant model, they just keep updating it. They need a new red and blue funfly model called a jaguar! :mrgreen:

Indeed I'll be going down so will report back on Saturday!

B :wink:

P.s. Check out page 2 of topic!!! Page 2 yaaay!!!

Edited by Guest

To be fair pink is a good colour for visual sighting.............. unless that is you are flying photo reconn. missions at dusk.

They should have made all the fiesler storch's and lyslanders pink then!

Edited by Guest

Pink, Eh? That'll go down well with the tens of thousands of female modellers.

For electric, never mind cooling scoops (cut plastic spoons are OK), it's the battery hatch that's needed as no way would I keep removing the wing.

I like Pink :oops:

Indeed, the new Hype 3D R has a removable canopy = easy to get to the battery! And also 2 piece wing as well.......

Who want a electric 52 size 3D model??!? That's what nitro is for!

They should make cougar IC and jaguar electric. That's it, I've solved the cougar problem, make a new electric funfly model with hatch and plastic spoons in the front, and it can be blue!!!

:mrgreen::mrgreen::wink::lol::lol:

Edited by Guest

I'm sorry this post is just to say that when we reach 34 replies, we have beaten the firefly epp topic (33), and will have the biggest topic in camfc! :mrgreen:

And then I'll build the cougar and get it up to 40 posts, and then I'll complain about something and either Dave or Steve will come back with help, and then it will go even higher. Hopefully this time there won't be a crash discussion!!!!!!! :oops:

On the way to being camfc forum filler 2015/2016!!!! :lol:

I'll be getting the cougar next week as I need to get the break checked out before I drive to Weston.

In the meantime I thought I'd put a list of all the bits that I have for it so anyone can pick out anything I've missed.

- Cougar 2000 kit

- OS MAX-35AX

- Hitec HS322HD X4

- Hitec HS81

- X6R receiver

- 2500mah 6V vapextech rx battery

- Futaba "Heavy Duty" Switch

- Various props

- Servo Extension Leads ( Critical for cougar as quite obviously you need to get the ailerons to the rx somehow!!!)

IMPORTANT - I now have a well stocked garage full of bits, but be warned Weston kits (the last cougar AND hype) do not come with enough bits such as bolts or clevises....

3 1/2 week to go....

So went to get it and WOW. Tail AND fin mounting re-designed, throttle servo mounts to ply mount that's screwed in, pre cut u/c grooves, and a spare bit of oracover to cover esc wire holes and the tail fin hole (if you've built Weston kits you know how significant a spare bit of something is)

The only complaints I have are

- Weston have cut a rectangular hole in the firewall and have given a bit of covering to patch it up with. I feel that if you are making it electric, you must cut cooling holes and mount holes, so its a bit annoying to have to cover up...

- U/C is bare shiny metal which could have ben painted.

- Servo holes are a bit tight especially as I'm using small servos and I still need to sand a bit away to make sure the servos don't touch the ply tray sides.

Other than that I'm very impressed, and this is the first Weston kit I've had (out of 3) that I THINK has all the bits as usually there is a bit of wire or clevis missing.

IMG_1121.JPG.4ae9bf34039a528ea98e60ad61ea3abf.JPG

IMG_1117.JPG.dbc3fb7290d3bcfa5e6512c5a45bdc89.JPG

IMG_1122.JPG.29d68d1be191a57e6f85e9abf3d341be.JPG

IMG_1123.JPG.5c03412fc8af253891122e2e58242e8f.JPG

IMG_1123.JPG.b32283f9843f259f7e7ea33b23f8b372.JPG

IMG_1122.JPG.ace43fa1897a3afd3f1841d02cb7a442.JPG

IMG_1117.JPG.f4bd91aaf41a30defd1bce4e8cc43d56.JPG

IMG_1121.JPG.1e96f05353b85897b83bac4bf60ba960.JPG

p.s. Yellow paint in the fuz is fuel proofer. The only main problem is that Weston have put a ply tray for lipo along the length of the radio bay that is an inch above the fuz floor. its not the end of the world but it means that for me at least the bay wont be neat as I'll have to shoehorn it all in! :D

Pink, Eh? That'll go down well with the tens of thousands of female modellers.

For electric, never mind cooling scoops (cut plastic spoons are OK), it's the battery hatch that's needed as no way would I keep removing the wing.

I like Pink :oops:

Indeed, the new Hype 3D R has a removable canopy = easy to get to the battery! And also 2 piece wing as well.......

Who want a electric 52 size 3D model??!? That's what nitro is for!

They should make cougar IC and jaguar electric. That's it, I've solved the cougar problem, make a new electric funfly model with hatch and plastic spoons in the front, and it can be blue!!!

:mrgreen::mrgreen::wink::lol::lol:

You may change your tune, once you have had some of the SebArt 50 size kits! They are some of the best 3D planes out there, PA models comes close!

The only down size is they need 6cell 3000mAh+ Li-Pos! But with HobbyKing around its not that bad.......I paid £150 each in the old days for 6Cell Li-Po's :shock::?

The 30 size are also very good as well! Which only take 3 cell, or like me I would set them up for 4 cell!

Most of there models can be set-up for 3D or patton ship flying as well!

Another down side is the kit do cost more money than most, and also they don't take a crash well or a hard landing!

I also don't like the stress of charging 100 batteries on Saturday. I suppose that once st field, leccy is much quicker, but I can't say that I don't enjoy the tinkering. IC also gives you the advantage of dead stick practice!!!

For funfly I prefer leccy as u can dump it in, and "the prop don't stop", to quote a caterham member :D .

Don't get me wrong; I LOVE my foam e, it's easy quick and cheap, but there's a part of me that loves the IC noise and character.

Anyway, to the cougar: I was building it and one of the captive nuts in the firewall came loose. It's now tight as I held nut with some pliers, but wondered if it was a problem?

• Club Members

Anyway, to the cougar: I was building it and one of the captive nuts in the firewall came loose. It's now tight as I held nut with some pliers, but wondered if it was a problem?

One push and back they go, quite normal, they are only located by the taper tangs and they only work once clamped together. As long as the nut is secure in the firewall when tightened and can't pull through, its OK.

Gaaaah! I'm struggling to fit all the radio in to the fuz it's so small! I wanted to use a 2500 6v but it won't fit, so I have to use a 2600 4.8v instead :D

Tail hooked up, cougar almost done :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

You could try one of them "hump back" 6V battery! I can't remember now where I have had my 5 cell flat batterys in the C2000s I've had :? But I did get them in there!

Then again, I probable didn't go with the CoG they said..... not telling you to do that!

I always use the OS 32SX engines on mine, one of the best little engines out there! But they didn't last to long running 20+ nitro fuels, tuned to the max and prop hanging for hours :lol: .......

Poor little thing :o

No it's a humped pack I tried to fit in!!! :mrgreen:

I ended up putting the switch at the back by the servos, and i also got 2 HS645MG servos for rudder and elevator, as per last cougar. On 4.8v hs322 won't cope with the rudder and there was a 2 servo deal on at servoshop so I got 2. I'm still using hs322 for the ailerons. :roll:

All this faff because Weston put a tray in the fuz for all them leccy people :shock:

B :D

I've used standard servo's "Futaba S3001" all around before on 5 cell battery and it was all right! Also used S3010 and S3152 as well...

I don't think you need much more than top-spec standard for this type of model!.....but having said that, metal gear & digital servos would be better!

Also better to have 5kg+ servos for elev / rud!

But in the end, its how you are going to fly it = what servos to use!

All this faff because Weston put a tray in the fuz for all them leccy people :shock:

From the photos of the yellow tray! Looks like you could easy use that to mount a flat 5cell battery in place with hook & loop, double side tape or pull tie's etc. etc.

ive tried :(

it doesn't fit by about half a cm because of the formers that stick out of the fuz sides... :lol:

Not telling you to do this, but is that yellow tray main fuselage straight part or just a tray for mouthing a Li-Po battery? If not you could cut a slot for the battery to sit in the slot next to the fus wall, vertically!? e.g where the slots are cut out already for the hook & loop fastener to go.

Did you also glue that part in yourself, or did it come like that?

My Cougar 2000 never had that part in them! Also the throttle servo was mounted flat on the bottom part of the fuselage........."under that yellow tray, which wasn't there......

I see they give you a throttle servo mount now as well!

Anyway an-till its finish, you may not know where the battery needs to go for the CoG!

P.s Maybe cut half that tray away......so you can mount the battery flat on the bottom of the fus !?