This is a snapshot of the forum as it was on Thursday 2nd Dec 2021. Not everything will work.
It is not possible to login, edit or make any changes and is provided for prosterity for those who wish to view the old content.
C.A.M.F.C - Members & Visitors area

"Drone" registration in U.S.

• Club Members

Alan, your post is unfortunately potentially misleading, especially the title. It is not just "drones" (which by definition specifically have to be capable of autonomous controlled flight), but effectively ALL UNMANNED AIRCRAFT within what is considered the "normal" radio control model weight range that fall into the new American scheme's remit. And it is active in five days time!!

Yes, the term UAV technically covers it, but not in a way many properly understand, and your post is public, so non-modellers can read it and possibly be confused.

For hobby purpose rather than commercial flying ANY user will have to prior register themselves before flying just about anything unmanned other than extreme lightweights outdoors, and that includes anyone going there on holiday, visiting relations, etc, whether they take or buy/loan models out there. I don't intend going to the USA, but I have taken RC air models abroad in the past. I'm sure I'm not alone.

Sorry to appear a pedant, but it's important I think to try to get the message clear? Ignorance of the law is not bliss, especially when it comes at you with a big gun..................... :wink:

Dave, you should have noticed that I put the word drones in quotation marks to show that I wasn't being literal. But I did post before realising that it applies to just about all r/c flying in FAA airspace.

This action doesn't affect us at all in the UK (for those who are worried now) but I posted because you never know when someone in the government or CAA will look at what the U.S. is doing and think that it's a good idea.

But what is controlled airspace? around airports or the whole of the U.S.?

• 1 month later...
  • Club Members

Actually it has on the face of it little to do with the Government or the CAA, since we are (at least currently ) in Europe, it will be the EASA, and heaven only know what they will come up with, if they "do" an Ireland or New Zealand, goodbye to a lot of model flying, at least "legally".

Interesting that in the USA, where registration is notionally in place but challenged, firms are springing up to allow people to "self drive hire" DJI Phantoms, etc, so if you were not concerned enough at the standard of joe public buying one and behaving stupidly, pretty much ANYONE can be a problem without even purchase................Here's one example:-

http://eyeintheskyrentals.com/

Note the demo video, suggesting use (by inexperienced pilots) for lovely wedding close ups, and overflying crowded city centres, and, and,.........

Not really any wonder the regulators are considering fairly drastic action, is it!! Do you think that this stupidity will not also come over here?

• Club Members

Wow - that Empire State Building story is pretty special. My biggest concern about any registration requirement (assuming that it wasn't accompanied by additional restrictions) was that it would be an annoyance to people already following the rules while having absolutely no effect on the idiots, or indeed on the patchy enforcement of existing rules. I think that story goes to show that the safe and legal flying message still has not got across in the US despite the registration requirement. It's a bit like losing an illegal firearm and asking at lost property to try to get it back!

Here is the latest from the "stupid drone story" department over here...

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016 ... own-drones

• Club Members

The Dutch Police were surely on Wacky Baccy, so what is the Met's excuse.

The RSPCA/RSPB need to take an interest. It's one thing doing a trial where the Drone Pilot helpfully cuts power to allow the Eagle to grab. But, as I posted elsewhere weeks ago when the story first broke.............

For Sale, Eagle, no feet.