This is a snapshot of the forum as it was on Thursday 2nd Dec 2021. Not everything will work.
It is not possible to login, edit or make any changes and is provided for prosterity for those who wish to view the old content.
C.A.M.F.C - Members & Visitors area

• Club Members

Nice new section, shame not to open it!

Some know Mark Fry and I gave a talk on MultiRotors (MR's) at a recent Club Night.

In this section, and over time, I will be putting some of the base data needed for CAMFC members to enter and survive (legally) the wonderful world of MR's, and especially First Person View Quadcopters (FPV Quads).

As is the way with most new and rapidly expanding areas, there is a lot of scope for getting it wrong. Frankly, you will NOT be helped by a fair proportion of the UK traders, who will happily sell you (because it is not illegal for them to do so) product that is either not fit for purpose or is illegal in the UK.

One particular issue I will spotlight on NOW as an example, and that is Video Transmission power. In the UK you are limited to a MAXIMUM output power of 25mW (milliWatts). A LOT of product being sold is in the UK by UK sellers is at least 200mW. Worse, a lot of it is also on a frequency band or has a band available which falls outside the UK legal band.

Those tempted to cheat should bear in mind that operating with too much power drastically increases the chance that you will affect others, esp others trying to fly with you in the case of FPV Quad racing.

Anyway, enough of that negativity, The genre of "Race" Quad flying is exciting, relatively cheap, is a fresh challenge, and will give a buzz that's hard to match from any other form of RC flight.

You can be fully equipped flight ready for not much more than a single club size ARTF, and it'll survive a considerable amount more punishment.

We'll see how best to approach this in later posts.