This is a snapshot of the forum as it was on Thursday 2nd Dec 2021. Not everything will work.
It is not possible to login, edit or make any changes and is provided for prosterity for those who wish to view the old content.
C.A.M.F.C - Members & Visitors area

Carbon Copy

Carbon Copy is a great site for bits and bobs for quite a few well known artf's. The mini hype, cougar, wot 4, wots wot, extra wot, acrowot, mini jazz and the eflite apprentice. They are all reasonably priced, indeed I am about to order a carbon canopy and u/c for the mini hype!

http://www.carboncopyuk.com/Store1/index.php?route=common/home

Fancy a bend proof funfly u/c or a new wot 4 cowling?

B :wink:

When it comes to metal or plastic vs carbon.....you have to weight up the pro's and con's! "mosty talking about u/c and props "not metal of course""

Carbon looks good, but with snap! When metal will bend.....talking about u/c! If you are doing heavy landing or practising high alpha landing or have a short run way etc etc, then metal is the way to go!

Carbon props are great, but the cost of them vs wood :shock:

Also remember that 2.4Ghz don't like carbon at all! The carbon canopy / cowling could be around where the RX is or be in line of your TX signal, which could lead to lost of signal etc etc!

Ah I didn't properly think about that, but luckily I haven't ordered it yet...

Would you say that I would be better off just getting the u/c? After the cougar I'm wary of signal loss. The rx antennae are situated directly below the canopy... I think my landings are ok for carbon :lol:

So If I get the carbon canopy then would you say I run a real risk of signal loss?

B

I've spend lots of money on carbon parts in the passed, or bought carbon version of the kits.......... and the question is "did they make my pilot skills any better " :?

Carbon parts if you care about thing like that, do look cooler 8)

Most to all of the 30/50cc+ planes never come with carbon canpoys or even an opinion for one..........this may also be to do with cost of it as well! In the passed we used 35Mhz, which had the long aerial down the fuse.

You can buy 2.4Ghz RX, which come with longer antennae! Made for carbon hotlinners or gliders etc etc!

You can buy G10 or circuit board carbon looking parts now! It looks like it, but don't cost as much or stop the signal!

Pilot Ben said:
Would you say that I would be better off just getting the u/c?

Up to you......if you want one get it :) ..............

Just remember carbon will snap, where metal bends!

Look at most fun-fly models, they all use metal "metal wire" u/c........due to them being more forgiving etc etc!

My m8 has snapped / ripped two carbon u / c, one on his 30cc and 60cc 3D plane! He is/has now replacing them with metal!

I think Nylon bolts have a place! But they do have some draw backs to them!

In the winter, they became more brittle due to the cold and will break easier, when metal would have not, even in a good landing!

Some people cut into them a bit, to make them break easier! Maybe not a bad idea on u/c / large bolts! But I've seen flyer that have done it for mounting the wings :?

Or using them by accident, for the wings :roll:

• Club Members

And then.........silence.................

Did Ben 's model survive its carbonisation?

Did carbon make him fly better than Ali M?

Did he get a flyaway from the signal suppression?

Is he still chasing the model across the fields?

We may NEVER know..............................

Steve covered most of the reasons why not, but the fact that carbon gets brittle in the winter can be a killer to undercarriage!

You should be a narrator for a film!!! :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Did Ben 's model survive its carbonisation?

-Yes!

Did carbon make him fly better than Ali M?

- Another few months of practice and I'll be there!

Did he get a flyaway from the signal suppression?

Signal seemed strong, as did the u/c!

Is he still chasing the model across the fields?

The tank is only 5 min :lol: (including startup and all that)

Truth be told I haven't flown it, there was a fuel leak (Pipes were coming off bung), so that explains the poor engine!!! Emay kindly fixed it, so I should be ready to go for Sunday :)

Rods talk was fab, as is his book, chapter 2 already :)!