This is a snapshot of the forum as it was on Thursday 2nd Dec 2021. Not everything will work.
It is not possible to login, edit or make any changes and is provided for prosterity for those who wish to view the old content.
C.A.M.F.C - Members & Visitors area

Phoenix v5.5 Drought?

• Administrators

Hey...

So looking around for a legit Phoenix v5.5, or even a v5 seems to be proving fruitless and impossible.

eBay has a guy selling "copies" for £40, one bloke even had one at £1000 with a DX5, but even phoenix sim themselves state out of stock on their website with the media being £15...

How on earth can I get hold of the latest v5.5 to use with my official Wireless USB adapter?

My old v2.5 only updates to v4, and wont update from that any further now, it seems (It used to)..

Bit stuck as to how to get v5.5 now.

• Club Members

Don't understand your problem. Their website files allow update from 2.5 upwards to v5. You always used to have to do it in stages, you can't jump over a stage.

From the website:-

"Have an earlier version of Phoenix?
Phoenix features an auto-update system which automatically detects and asks you to install major program updates, but if you have an early version of the software (Version 2.5 or less) then you can manually update to the latest 5.0 version here. Have you actually tried the below process?
To install the update, please do the following:
 • Make sure that Phoenix is not running
 • Download the update .zip file using the button to the right
 • Once downloaded, unzip the file to a location you can find again
 • Run the "ManualInstaller.exe" application which has been unzipped
 • Follow the onscreen instructions to apply the update"

• 5 weeks later...
  • Administrators

At the time Dave, that wasnt showing on their website, or at least I never saw it... I have now found it and downloaded it. Will give it a bash, however, the original point was actually concerning the drought of Phoenix software?

Even the manufacturer dont sell the media on their website anymore..

P.S, I'm somewhat familiar with installing software :D

• Club Members

Well I suppose you do have to be capable of finding software to install it. :D:D.   It has been on their website "forever", August 2016 for "L", and that added near nothing over the previous one six months before that!

Horizon Hobbies seem to have done their best to trash Phoenix Sim, not controlling the last major update to 5.0 and beyond at all effectively, not fulfilling their stated promise with regard Infintyscape, viz:-

"Infinityscape 2.0 - Coming Soon

- 22nd June 2016"   YEA.........RIGHT................

And not adding models that they introduce across their ranges, which was the stated reason they bought it out in the first place, and is still proudly displayed on their website.

Anyway, if you have a version, there's no drought with regard getting the last issued program version from the website.

If anyone does not have a version at all then they are frequently sold on EBay, etc, etc.

HH make getting a replacement lead/dongle quite awkward, and no doubt get the reward they deserve, as Chinese versions are easily obtained.

You have to go back TWO FULL YEARS to the last official PLANE release, and that was effectively only a cheap rescale and skin of existing. The one before that was a much belated reintroduction of a long issued model they were unable to get working under the change to v5 plus.

What user made models have appeared are sadly almost exclusively not "models", they are Flight Sim, not RC Flight Sim. And even these "approved" issues are sometimes only too evidently thrown out the door with little or no quality control, an example being models with surfaces that move the wrong way (and never corrected!!)

I was a part of the original team's Beta testers up to v3, and more recently HAVE helped issue and tune models via other sources., so do know what is involved, what is practical and possible.

Lots of extra models are available as are extra flying sites, on a variety of unconnected websites worldwide, so there is no major difficulty adding to the std fare if a little effort is made.

• Administrators

Well, I finally got a small window of opportunity today to install the "Any to v5" update, and once installed, it works, but I cant download any updates from that point.

Everytime I start Phoenix it "Checks for updates" and finds none, and going to "Downloads" simply results in it telling my to check my internet connection as it cannot find the server.

Next step, complete uninstall and re-install from the v5 CD fresh... See if that works.

I assume its just me who is having this issue with phoenix software not updating?

• Club Members

Some Phoenix functions (however not to my knowledge updates, but hey!) requires specific ports being opened, port forwarding. Presume you have this set.

HOWEVER, The Phoenix server(s) are down currently, have been for sometime today, as no-one has been able to log in to multiplay, and late yesterday, so its probably NOT YOU!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Hi Dave, havent tried yet... Will be giving it a go at some point when I get a huge backlog of video edited and up onto YouTube...

Getting through about 2 vids a week at the mo, got 45 to do at least..