This is a snapshot of the forum as it was on Thursday 2nd Dec 2021. Not everything will work.
It is not possible to login, edit or make any changes and is provided for prosterity for those who wish to view the old content.
C.A.M.F.C - Members & Visitors area

Since building the Bristol Fighter and the Fokker DVIII, I've completed the Micro Aces SE5A. This little gem of a kit really is a delight to put together.

The next in line is the DH2 pusher and the 'DIXIE@ the Sopwith triplane.  

SE5A1.jpg

SE5A2.jpg

• 3 months later...

A belated "Thank you" to Ben. I mentioned that the next in line would be the Airco DH2. Well, here it is completed and ready for flight! Plus a close up of the revolving Gnome Mono engine, a little jewel of a model!

MA DH2 3.jpg

MA DH2 2.jpg

MA DH2 1.jpg

DH24.jpg

The level of detail on the engine and prop assembly really is something else! I can honestly say Don that your modelling abilities seem limitless, and not to mention superb! I think the detailing and weathering on the rest of the model gives it a sublime finish; especially the front of the fuselage and landing gear!

Edited by Pilot Ben

Ben, Most of the plaudits for this model must go to the designer, Jon Porter, the Guv'nor at Micro Aces. All I had to do was to cut the parts out accurately and stick them together very carefully. It takes patience, I grant you, but it wouldn't have been successful had the kit not been accurately produced!

Working on a model such as this - and there are a lot in the range - promotes valuable skills for our hobby. The instructions are available for free download from Jon's web site. Have a look at one for the SE5A at ...  https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1162/1498/files/SE5a_Assembly_Guide_01H.pdf?13807237656149588389  and see how you would have got on with the construction!

• Club Members

Micro Aces really have got the printed finish off to a Tee, haven't they Don!

I "put up" with the Ares products as I simply do not have the time for better. I keep looking though!!

One day................................................  SIGH

Do you mind me asking how long it took you to "build" Don?

I've been looking at one for a while so that I can finally use my surplus DX5, only I have heard that they are quite fiddly....

B ;)

They are fiddly - very fiddly, Ben, but are worth the trouble and if you go slowly and with patience, the results are most satisfying. Tweezers, a needle threader and knowledge of which adhesive to use where is an absolute must. That's why I suggested you study the instructions and imagine the build before you jump in at the deep end!   

• Club Members

A little less fiddly and quite a bit less fiddly, depending on model chosen, are the micro range of balsa planes available from Banggood.

While I have not built any, those I fly with have, and they have on occasion successfully tested their robustness to beyond that reasonable to ask for(!). I have flown/trimmed a couple and they do fly well in a none too large sports hall.

https://www.banggood.com/Flea-Balsawood-358MM-Wingspan-Micro-RC-Airplane-Newton-Kit-With-Power-System-p-1122905.html

https://www.banggood.com/Tiger-Moth-K10-400mm-Wingspan-Micro-RC-Balsa-Wood-Laser-Cut-RC-Airplane-Building-Kit-p-1237225.html

https://www.banggood.com/Mini-Camel-Fighter-380mm-Wingspan-Balsa-Wood-Laser-Cut-RC-Airplane-Kit-p-1267512.html

https://www.banggood.com/Fokker-E3-480mm-Wingspan-Balsa-Wood-Laser-Cut-RC-Airplane-KIT-p-1266615.html

Banggood also sell receiver bricks with servos for budget costs.

• Club Members

They also did a SE5A and a couple of others inc Spacewalker, but may have dropped or just OOS, quick search did not turn them up.

SE5A flew very well, balsa with just paper roundels so not as cosmetic as the Model Aces one. I note they now do a 400mm balsa frame Zero but that is unlikely to be OK Indoor!!

I maidened an SE5A for Clive in our group and it flew excellently. Have also flown the TRIPLANE and that flew well but didn't like right hand turns much (allegedly quite scale then!!)

Bravedan. The balsa stick & tissue kits are OK and, as you say, fly quite well, but I find them far more tricky to build because they demand a high degree of accuracy if they are to look anything like the full size aeroplane. The covering and paint finishing is also an absolute pain to do,what with adding weight or introducing warps. One advantage these models have is that they are laser cut kits!

Having said all that I confess to having three Aerographic models waiting to be covered and finishing - a Puss Moth, an Avro 504K and a Blackburn Monoplane "D" !  All of these have their parts printed onto sheet stock and needed to be cut out - not an easy job for the beginner in these days of laser-cut kits!! 

BTW - I don't want to give the impression that the MicroAce kits are difficult to build. They are certainly demand a delicate touch whilst being built but once up and running they are surprisingly tough little models and bounce of walls and furniture!