This is a snapshot of the forum as it was on Thursday 2nd Dec 2021. Not everything will work.
It is not possible to login, edit or make any changes and is provided for prosterity for those who wish to view the old content.
C.A.M.F.C - Members & Visitors area

YT International Spifire

Well had my second flight on the 72" span YT international Spit with the Satio 120 4s. Take off was great just typical had to hold the tail down full up elevator and let go....then off she went straight and true.

Flew level with very little trim adjustment required. A bit sensitive on the elevator still and may require an extra ounce of weight in the nose however the cowl was not on so that may just be enough weight but will balance her again.

Now in flight the plane flew well and has a very very low stall speed, so nerves now calming down try a few passes down the field at reasonable height, no low passes yet.

Man the engine sound was great that four stroke made a nice grow and it suits this spit.

Well three passes and time to land as I did not want another dead stick landing like last time. Line her up for final approach and a nice cross wind landing, tail goes out starts to crab in so apply some rudder and nose now pointing the right way and descending in correct landing approach path and oops just on start of runway she plots out of the sky...stalled.

Lesson learned you have to fly this baby in like all war birds on to the ground and keep the elevator up and try no to nose over.

Oh well have to repair retract supports and wing where the retracts pushed through the wing or broke the spars. Should be fixed for next weekends flying.

• 2 weeks later...

The spit is back together.

Just need to get the right green for the wing repair to touch up the repaired areas.

I have strengthened the retract spars with some hard wood spars and removed the plastic wheel wells and lined them with ply and painted.

Wheels retract further into wing have yet to fit the wheel spats to the oleo, problem is the spats will sit above the wing surface which is not right. Seems the retract mounts are not deep enough in the wing....oh well....

Still need to fit the pilot to the cockpit, but need to do some major body work to cut a hole in the fuse to allow the pilot to fit in and will have to make up a seat for the pilot and a few cock pit details.. I have a proper 1/6th scale pilot.

I have attached a pic of another YT spit, I need to fit the guns and cannons as well.

sp1.jpg.8b9f44b94e722e52361fc54b32f1bb84.jpg