This is a snapshot of the forum as it was on Thursday 2nd Dec 2021. Not everything will work.
It is not possible to login, edit or make any changes and is provided for prosterity for those who wish to view the old content.
C.A.M.F.C - Members & Visitors area

Bench Running Large Petrol Engines

I want to bench run my DLE30, but am cautious that it is a powerful beast ... any recommendations for the best way to mount it to the bench, and how many concrete blocks I should attach to the bench to stop a "fly-away"?!

For those interested, I want to do this purely for the engine's good while it is in "storage". I'm unlikely to fly the plane this year or even next at my current rate of flying days, but want to flick the engine over once in a while to stop the diaphragm drying out etc. Easiest way for me to do this is to bench mount it at my Dad's place and run it once in a while as it avoids my lifting the airframe out of the attic and hauling it to our flying field.

(And yes, this implies I had a change of heart about selling my Extra, although it will still go for the right price :))

Cheers

Arun

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Arun

I installed mine on an improvised table as a bench before putting it on the mustang with plenty of weight on the table and reinforcing the table legs to keep them from moving.

It pulls a lot the DLE30 so be careful with the table, make sure is stable and solid as I am sure you know keep tank align with carb.

Use plenty of thread lock for the standoffs and bench as everything vibrates like crazy, I had nuts coming off next to the prop and had to sop the engine few times until secure them.

By the way is there any such a thing like after run oil for petrol engines when storing them for long periods of time ?

Haven't heard anything out there.

See you around

By the way is there any such a thing like after run oil for petrol engines when storing them for long periods of time ?

Haven't heard anything out there.

I think, people just use 3 in 1 oil!