This is a snapshot of the forum as it was on Thursday 2nd Dec 2021. Not everything will work.
It is not possible to login, edit or make any changes and is provided for prosterity for those who wish to view the old content.
C.A.M.F.C - Members & Visitors area

2.4GHz - All Systems- Euro "Listen Before Transmit"

• Club Members

Being widely called the LBT change, but is wider than just that.

Pay attention at the back please, this may well affect YOUR radio either now or in the near future !!

Quite a lot of the founding 2.4GHz systems do not comply, and so cannot be sold new now without change. Manufacturers are working on or have issued firmware updates, both for Tx AND for Rx. SOME OF THESE AFFECT IF NOT STOP EXISTING COMPATIBILITY, and not only with compatible Rx's like Orange and FRSky working but also within a manufacturers range!

It's NOT just an "old" system issue either, as while DSM2 and FASST are both non-compliant, so also is(was) FRSky.

It is being stated that new FRSky ACCST Tx firmware has been released for the X-series RXs, XJT module and Taranis TX. However, it is also being said across forums that existing X series will not work with an upgraded TX, and new X-series RXs will not work with a Taranis that has not been upgraded to the new firmware. You could fall into the middle of this!! D series and V8 (non telemetry) RXs seem unaffected and work with an upgraded TX without any changes; no D/V8 RX firmware updates released as yet.

Now for the punch line.........your existing Gear does not HAVE to change, you can continue to use it without ANY change, but manufacturer firmware changes on new Rx's being sold MAY affect it and if you need more Rx's in the future that may force it !!

DON'T take the above examples as definitive at this stage, but as a warning NOT to allow/install firmware upgrade unless you know EXACTLY what its going to do to ALL your existing gear!!!!

Oh, and no going into "smug mode" that your system isn't affected, its a developing situation and it ain't over till it's over........ :roll::wink:

Also remember, this is an EURO rule change, and does not apply worldwide (at the moment)!

• Club Members

Thinking about it, this reminds me of a comment that the Ripmax rep made at a club night (late 2013, maybe), about an upcoming rule change that would affect FASST (but not FASSTest). The way he was describing it made it sound as though some sort of Rx-to-Tx transmission was mandatory (at which point you may as well have telemetry too). Anyway, when I asked him whether this would mean that we would be unable to buy new FASST receivers, he said that they were classed as spare parts for an existing system and so could still be sold.

I'm not sure whether this is the same rule change, though it's plausible. It wonder if it might mean though that for some systems we might see the older protocols simply being dropped (where there is already a compliant protocol), rather than updated?

• Club Members

OK, as of now this (hopefully) attached pdf file is the best data I have found for the FRSky system ACCST, Taranis, etc.

It's inevitably not as bad as the scaremongers were/are saying, some loss of D16 mode if you don't upgrade, but the warning remains, be very careful on Firmware updating!

Frsky_Taranis_ETSI181_english.pdf

Frsky_Taranis_ETSI181_english.pdf

• Club Members

The loss of FASST compatibility with Orange/FRSky Rx's is only brought into effect by upgrade firmware and that's only user capable on the more expensive Tx's (14 and 18) AFAIK, in any event its being indicated that FRSky are working on reintroducing firmware compatibility for their FASST Rx's for upgraded Tx's.

Since my 10CG, Taranis Module, and 6EXs are not firmware upgradable by me, it's not an issue. These Tx's are "non-current" so IMO are unlikely to get (or really need) a manufacturer upgrade path, so they just carry on to end of life as is as far as I read it..

• Club Members

Open Tx developers issued update further updated firmware on Monday (14) then apparantly some people were having issues loading it, so 15 is either on way or by the time you read this will have been issued.

Peter,

At least with the modern system this sort of change does not totally wipe the gear out of practical use......I'm old enough to remember the horrendous issues with 27MHz when they allowed CB!! (I still have all my 35MHz and 27MHz gear, in the case of 35MHz that means five transmitters each with six model memory, DR/expo, elevon, flaps, etc, etc, so if 24GHz falls over, I'm "future proofed".......... I would have to seriously reduce the fleet though, or remember how I once turned up at the field with six or more planes and a 4Ch Tx without anything bar sticks.........and they all worked and trimmed with no field adjustments :mrgreen::mrgreen:

P.S. I was at Mill Hill yesterday flying with two others, and I was the only one on 2.4GHz, so who says 35MHz is dead!!!!!