This is a snapshot of the forum as it was on Thursday 2nd Dec 2021. Not everything will work.
It is not possible to login, edit or make any changes and is provided for prosterity for those who wish to view the old content.
C.A.M.F.C - Members & Visitors area

The SE5A from Duncan Hutsons drawings.

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:45 pm Post subject: The SE5A from Duncan Hutsons drawings.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Having had some questions regarding the SE5A I thought to start a new thread for it.

First of all a picture by Darren taken at last year's Bickley Scale meeting. where it won "Best in Scale"

and another by Darren which was published in RCMW magazine

I scratch built the model from Hutson drawings and used his rib kit together with parts of his glass fibre decking. All of the front end is knocked up from litho plate for the cowlings, hardwood for the cam covers and exhaust and I used a motorcycle clutch cable outer for the rev counter drive.

It's powered by an O.S.120 pumper - drives a 16x8 Graupner propeller. The radio is Futaba FF9. The batteries are 1050mA 6v.

That's all for now 'cos I need to see if my image uploading finger is working

Watch this space.

58d85c77e2463_SE5Ainflight.jpg.a52bc5204af6c9a49ec1b8a916adbe4a.jpg

Thanks for that, John.

The SE5A's from Duncan H's drawings so comes out at what he terms "Near 1/4 Scale" Why on earth not to full 1/4? It must have something to do with the production of his kit for the A/C. Strip lengths and so forth.

As for flying at Roundshaw - can't see why not. Remind me later!

It will have to be after I've flown it at Top Gun in July tho'. Don't want to break it before then!

Thanks again.

Don - thanks so far for all your posts - its great to have such talent (still) in the club.

A question for you regarding your choice of engines.

I notice you have a pumped OS120 in the SE5A - what advantages does the pump give?

I have just bought an OS91 with a pump cos it was cheap on eBay, and am wondering whether to use that or a laser 100 in my upcoming 1/7th spitfire...

Jimbo

The advantage I find the Pumped version has is that when you cannot get to the engine easily it self-primes on initial start-up.

That is:- Fill the tank - switch radio on - close throttle to tick over position. NO GLOW YET - turn the prop over about ten rotations - set throttle - apply glow and it will start without having to choke the thing.

Secondly I find that the low tick over is as steady as can be. I do not use tank pressure ever and run my engines on the rich side.

Let me know what happens!

Interesting. Neil Tidy says that Lasers don't need tank pressure of course, but most other manufacturers normally advocate it.

I was interested that the OS pumper had no pressure nipple - obvious why really :shock:

Well now I have to decide whether to use the OS91 pump or the laser 100 in the upcoming spit - spoilt for choice I guess - but that's a nice situation to be in isn't it!

• 4 months later...

I thought you might be interested in the following.

Had a great time at Top Gun UK at RAF Barkston Heath this weekend. There were some fifty pilots invited to compete. The contest was planned for two five minute solo slots on the Saturday, one in the morning, one in the afternoon and one for the Sunday morning. The top fifteen would then fly-off in the afternoon for the BMFA Top Gun UK Trophy.

There were divisions for WW1 -WW2 - Jets - Aerobatic.

The Saturday rounds were flown in sunny but gusty conditions (around 8-10 knots average) and I flew the SE5A to second place with Ian Renshaw's 1/3rd scale DH2 leading the class. There were just six of us in the WW1 class.

All of the aircraft were struggling in the conditions, even the jets, with the wind swinging, in a split second, between 45 & 90 degrees across the RAF's tarmac runway 27. Flying lightly loaded biplanes in WW1 (and one Morane Saulnier parasol) we just HAD to get off strictly into wind so that taxying was out of the question and we had wing handlers to wheel the models to the far side of the runway, point the thing into wind and, at a nod from us let go and get out of the way!

We then did our thing for the Judges with the Flight line director calling 30 seconds to go to the end of the five-minute slot. Now for the tricky bit. Happy to relate my flight ended with a greaser of a landing with no wing tipping, a straight-ahead taxi to the runway edge and a burbley, smokey switch off! Magic!

I was well pleased with the flight considering the conditions. I managed to fly a reasonable looking schedule but it was difficult to slow the model down in spite of the wind strength. The problem was that when I throttled back to something like a scale speed the 'plane would zoom up and it took instant touch of down to correct, by which time the straight & level became somewhat switchbacky which spoiled the illusion! All that lift, I suppose. However I got it down in one piece following a few loops. stall turns, spins and reversals.

I improved my score in the second slot and so did Ian and we retained our first & second ranking for our division.

By the end of the day the wind hadn't let up and was increasing. The forecast for the 'morrow was "occasional showers, wind 10 - 15 knots SSW - gusting 30k"

I shall get a good nights sleep in the hotel and play it by ear tomorrow.

In the event the wind was horrendous on the Sunday wind 10-15'ish from the S., drizzle for a short while, with many electing not to fly the final qualifying round (me included) The CD decided that the scores for the first two rounds would be counted and the top fifteen would be "invited" to fly-off to determine the winner.

Ian and I found ourselves in the top fifteen, the only two from the WW1 division.

Neither of us flew and the contest ended with Ian being awarded the trophy for WW1 class, rightly so, and me mentioned in dispatches in second place.

I was tickled pink that I had survived my clash with some of the World's best and look forward to letting you see the pics. that were taken by the model press snappers.

Incidentally, the Top Gun trophy was won by fellow club member Ali Mashinchy with absolutely staggering flights with his Cougar.

I'll post some pictures as and when I have them from Alex Whittaker.

He said that he would be sending them to Flying Scale Models and RCM&E

Regards,

Don Coe

Congratulations Don - that's quite an achievment!!

Good to know you can still move your fingers properly after you recent accident too.

Lets see those pics when you have them.

Thanks, Jimbo.

How are you getting on with the OS91? Have you run it yet.

With regard to running on exhaust gas pressure, I think that this is just a fashion thing! I cannot see the advantage of directing filthy, sludge infected gas back into a system that we strive to maintain in a clean state with fuel filters etc. IMHO I think that if it will not run without pressure, particularly with a pump, it doesn't deserve to be taken from it's box!

Maybe it's an age thing. What do you have to say on the subject Mike Sun?

(Filth up the pipe Mike, not age!)

See you at the BBQ.