This is a snapshot of the forum as it was on Thursday 2nd Dec 2021. Not everything will work.
It is not possible to login, edit or make any changes and is provided for prosterity for those who wish to view the old content.
C.A.M.F.C - Members & Visitors area

FREE! Ripmax Xpression ARTF, part-built

• Club Members

I have a Ripmax Xpression that I bought second-hand from Avicraft a year or so ago.

I don't know much about the aircraft, except that it's a 4-channel shoulder-wing sports model. Control surfaces look unexceptional in size, so I imagine it would just fly like a normal sport / aerobatic model not anything 3D.

There aren't many pictures of these around, but here's a publicity photo of one:

http://www.modelflying.co.uk/reviews/product.asp?p=1421

I bought this when I needed a model quickly and had a shoulder injury that meant I didn't want too much building. However, when I got it home I found it needed a bit more work than I was expecting, so in the end I bought another trainer instead.

It's been just sitting around since then, so I'm looking to give it away free to any club member who wants it. It's taking up space that I'd rather fill with other things.

Regarding the current condition of the model...

I don't think it's ever actually been flown. Looking at it, I think the previous owner got part way through an electric conversion and then stopped and got rid of the model. In particular, there has been some work to cut a hatch in the bottom of the fuel tank compartment and construct a battery box inside. It still has the engine mounts on the front, though. I was planning to put a .46 engine on it.

It's set up as a tricycle undercarriage (as per publicity photo above), but with a fixed nose leg (this seems to have been done by the builder as it looks like the nose leg should be steerable). I probably have a spare nose leg and bracket left over from a trainer that I can pass along with the model, or you may want to convert to taildragger for our grass strip.

From memory, I think it has an aileron servo fitted, which I think is a standard Futaba one (148 or similar), but I can check this if required. There are no fuselage servos.

Generally, the airframe seems structurally sound (and like I said, I don't think it's ever actually been flown). Some of the assembly isn't as neat as I would personally have looked for if I'd done it, but I'm not aware of any major problems. You'd want to check it out though. There is no cowl.

Anyway, it's free to any club member. Collection at field only please. Just let me know if you want it or have other questions.

• 1 month later...
  • Club Members

our new youngster "Ben" is it, has no plane of his own yet. He seems to be quite proficient at flying and would probably be glad of a model of his own.

Just thinking out loud, and ET said he was up for it first! :-

Oily :wink: )

• Club Members

I really don't mind who takes it! Bear in mind that it will need some more parts (e.g. engine, servos) and some work (e.g. fitting them) to get it flying.

I'll bring it next time I come down the field, and I'll be sure to post here to say which day that is. It's unlikely to be for a few weeks though.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi ET,

I have thought about it with my dad, and if I take it, it will be a project for me, so, if you want a plane ASAP, you can take it, but I would like it as I can have some building experience and another plane to fly.

It's up to you, but bearing in mind that I have ordered a cougar, so I will have a plane in the next few months,

Ben