This is a snapshot of the forum as it was on Thursday 2nd Dec 2021. Not everything will work.
It is not possible to login, edit or make any changes and is provided for prosterity for those who wish to view the old content.
C.A.M.F.C - Members & Visitors area

Multi rota crash

Watching the slalom ski race the other day the multi rota copter being used to get over head shots crashed a few feet from the racer! and I mean a few feet about 4 or 5 feet. Crowds were lining the course some meters away. The pilot must have been a pro with pro equipment so it shows what can happen when things go wrong. This was in Italy perhaps they allow flying close to and over people.

In the right hands with the right attitude to safety they are reasonably safe, in the wrong hands with little or no regard to safety they can (and probably will) be lethal.

Rod

• Club Members

A job which formerly might well have been a full sized helicopter, higher up.

It was, from the less sensationalist press reports, a 10kg(ish) commercially run company machine being used by one of their operators for the TV company covering the event.

I don't know what Italy's rules are either, but the multi was being operated over the course, Whether this is "over people" is a moot point, and if their rules are anything like ours then it would have been risk assessed as acceptable before flying.

Not in any way challenging any of your comments, Rod, it's something that should not have happened. Lessons will no doubt be learned.

My take on that specific incident, for what its worth, is that commercially the industry is rapidly moving up and up the size/weight scale as film makers/TV companies demand better and better quality, and even more specifically longer duration of flight and (most likely) the quality of "live" download. The former is pushing up the payload, which in turn, coupled with the latter, is pushing up battery power and capacity needed, and so overall weight. However, technology is changing and improving all the time. Is there balance? Only if people assess and control risks effectively.

The result in commercial machine terms is WAY away from what a private individual will be unwrapping shortly today, though that is NOT to say that risks will not be taken with unfortunate results.

There is as you infer a need for responsible steering of people doing this aspect of RC flying privately and non-commercially. All BMFA affiliated Clubs should be active. The BMFA is asking us TO be active. Its not a time to duck, as it WILL circle round and hit our sport hard, and likely sooner rather than later. If we as the sports national and formal organisation with many years of experience and skills do not become involved as guides and mentors, we WILL be a victim.

Seeing it coming from three years back, I have forced myself into a learning curve on this aspect of unmanned flight which has enabled me to influence a large number of pupils at LPSB, and with adults at the fortnightly Club I run, but I'm only one person in one place.

If we fail, people will get injured and die. More little kids will be maimed, lose eyes, etc, etc. We CAN influence and offset that down to low risk, but will we? This relates to ALL model flyers having influence, but of course, Club specific matters should be handled in Members area, not here.

Nobody in my family circle is getting a quad for Christmas, though I have built two for myself in the last 14 days. One only weighs 300g, yet is fully capable of flying FPV and being "rather quick". :mrgreen:

End of...................I'm off to celebrate Christmas, Have a happy day!! :wink: