This is a snapshot of the forum as it was on Thursday 2nd Dec 2021. Not everything will work.
It is not possible to login, edit or make any changes and is provided for prosterity for those who wish to view the old content.
C.A.M.F.C - Members & Visitors area

RC Turbine Boats

• Club Members

So, let me just try and understand this, you use a jet turbine, then connect it to an inefficient propeller drive system.

So, let me just try and understand this, you use a jet turbine, then connect it to an inefficient propeller drive system.

No, sorry, :mrgreen: does not compute.................................

Seen a few turbine boats in the pass! Also help set-up one as well!

"In the shops I worked at and also on the water"

Its cool at first, but after a bit it gets boring to watch!......full speed then turn around slowly then go full speed again :?

Some people don't use a prop shaft system, they just use them the same as the rc planes would!

I agree with Steve. They are great fun for 10mins. I once had a rc car that ran off of 4 volts, and I got bored with it after half an hour. I put a 3s 11.1v lipo on it, and it was great fun until it began to smoke....

B

• Club Members

Cars and Boats both have to be raced against others formally or they are BBBBBBOOOOOOOORRRIINNGGGGG.

I raced cars from 75-81, Stock Cars, 1/8th 3.5cc engine and 1/12th electric. 1/8th scale used to attract 45-55 drivers per meeting in the 70's, mostly Midlands based. I still run a 1/12th club in LPSB, one design Mardave class, very close skill based racing. Pretty often have to turn pupils away.

I raced boats from mid 76 for a few months and briefly in 78, Multi Racing and Speed Steering. I joined Birmingham Model Boat Club as they had the World Champion and the next two runners up. I left after two meetings, I was bored and they were hacked off at me beating them. They had "unwritten rules" that were way different to the nationally published ones and were ridiculously juvenile about it.

For the '78 Model Makers Festival I built a Pirhana, a Cyclone 15 brushed electric class racing boat in three days, tested on the canal in Stoke so far off trim I had to hold near half rudder to go straight, went to the Festival and got two Third Trophies for both classes, the only people to beat me were the Editor of Model Boats magazine and the designer of the hull. (This was NO reflection on my building or piloting/driving skills, rather the reverse).

Still have that boat. I get it out the loft and run it every decade or so on the Oyster Pond, Littlehampton, so just to remind why I do aeromodelling.

Sometimes I even manage a second cell pack without falling asleep.

Yeah, I had a £10 Audi and Ferrari from tkmaxx, and my friend and I raced them and filmed the racing via my phone taped to the top! Gr8 Fun!

B :wink:

Edited by Guest