This is a snapshot of the forum as it was on Thursday 2nd Dec 2021. Not everything will work.
It is not possible to login, edit or make any changes and is provided for prosterity for those who wish to view the old content.
C.A.M.F.C - Members & Visitors area

650cc Biplane with a 63x3 prop!?!?!?!?!

Monster Pitts Python (85%) flown at Wings & Wheels 2013. Engine loses power and ends the routine early but brought down safely with limited power. This model is the largest radio controlled aircraft in the UK, maybe in Europe, weighing in at 138 Kg, just under the maximum limit as defined by the CAA of 150Kg. The Pitts is scratch built, that means plans, design, construction and materials are all created by the builder to emulate the full size aircraft and it took Greg 5 years to complete this 7/8th scale biplane. The engine is manufactured by Hirth and is usually mounted in man carrying micro light aircraft. 650 cc flat twin with a 63 inch 3 blade propellor.

B :wink:

• Club Members

Ah the tinny beat of a powerful 2 Stroke, reminds me of my racing Class IV National Kart's Villiers 9E............ beats thumping four strokes any day. :lol::wink:

This year's Wings and Wheels is coming up on the 25th/26th of this month. Big fairly local show with lots of trade too and huge bring and buy. There are quite a few of us going/flying there. It's well worth a visit :D

James.

lol they moved that Pitts around in a small caravan, which they made a big door in the front 8)

I am also sure, that he had that plane up for sale, sometime ago!

• Club Members

Look, its a simple job to put RC gear onto a full size F16 or Airbus 380 if all you crave is size and you have the money, its not in itself clever and it does not make you a better pilot or give a better display.

Over sized RC models don't fit the flying fields we have access to, just like oversized SUV/4x4 don't fit our roads. IMO the CAA should ban all RC over (say) 20kg.

DISCUSS................. :wink:

Devil's advocate: If it is done safely, within sensible rules to protect human-carrying aviation and people and property on the ground, who are we or the CAA to prevent people doing things? Just because we may not find it impressive or interesting doesn't mean other folks don't and why shouldn't they enjoy it? I'm sure there's plenty of folks out there who think flying RC models at all is pretty out there, weird and potentially dangerous.