This is a snapshot of the forum as it was on Thursday 2nd Dec 2021. Not everything will work.
It is not possible to login, edit or make any changes and is provided for prosterity for those who wish to view the old content.
C.A.M.F.C - Members & Visitors area

Good Heli for RC capable but non-rotary wing pilots

• Club Members

With the seemingly all conquering multicopter and its ease of use, Heli's have gone on the back burner.

The most recent "best attempt" has been the Blade 230S, which simplifies the mechanics down to a minimum while still providing a means to fly collective pitch including 3D, with a recovery mode for when it all goes wrong. Sneered at by many, its a much much better machine than they give credit for.

Now Blade are announcing that the 130X is being superseded by the 130S, which follows the same path of brushless power with motor driven tail and robust simple structure in a smaller lighter package even better able to take knocks and yet still come back for more.

If they have as I suspect achieved in that smaller package what they managed with the 230S, it will be a very suitable machine for indoor event and back garden use.

I'll let you know....................... :wink:

Now if they'd only properly update the Nano CPX in the same style, rather than the travesty they last produced to "update" it, we'd REALLY be happy!

• Club Members

Interesting. I have an MCP-X (the old brushed version) which I bought as an upgrade from an MSR-X. (Actually, I have two, as Wheelspin were selling them so cheaply when the brushless version came out that I bought a second one to have a supply of spare parts.)

How capable is the recovery mode in the new ones? With me it wouldn't be recovery from 3D, more recovery from basic flying like trying to turn without having to come to a static hover first...

• Club Members

Well, TBH not wanting to risk the Heli, I have not tested recovery with the 230S beyond a 45 degree bank, but it did that perfectly.

The biggest "fault" is that the panic button is the bind button on a DX9, and that is not easily reachable to a finger while thumbs on sticks, so I have meant to swap switch "A" and the button over, a round tuit job.

For now I have bluetacked a 3mm nylock to the button top, a horrendous bodge that actually works pretty well!! :mrgreen:

I can flip the nano without crashing (much!!) so its not a priority.

• Club Members

What does the recovery do? I assume return to vertical, but does it return to a static hover or just to a state where the only acceleration is 9.8m/s/s downwards? (That would require the ability to detect velocity/position rather than just acceleration, so I assume it's just return to vertical.)