This is a snapshot of the forum as it was on Thursday 2nd Dec 2021. Not everything will work.
It is not possible to login, edit or make any changes and is provided for prosterity for those who wish to view the old content.
C.A.M.F.C - Members & Visitors area

Draining tank

Empty tank  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Empty tank

Thought I'd ask if you drained your tank at the end of a day at the field? When I first started I did, but now I leave it as is. I see that nearly everyone drains their tanks and/or runs the engine until it stops of fuel starvation. What are the problems with leaving fuel in the tank and fuel lines? Surely starving the engine of fuel is bad for it, as well as it losing any lubrication from the fuel?

I've always gone by the principle that you don't empty your car tank when you finish your trip, and pilots don't empty a 172's tanks after a flight...

Discuss please? 

B ;) 

Edited by Pilot Ben

I personally empty the tank and where possible stop any un burnt fuel from getting in the engine. Glow fuel is different to petrol in that the nitro especially is corrosive and the methanol is hydoscopic so absorbs moisture. This isn't good to leave in the engine as it can corrode bearings etc. After the last flight of the day I often pull the feed pipe off the carb and let the engine run out and stop then empty the tank. Plus it stops fuel leaking all over the car lol. Also most cars don't use the fuel as the lubrication for the engine, whereas model engines do, so the fuel gets to every part of the engine and thus can then corrode bits if left for a time.

James.

Ah I see! Think its time to start draining! What are the effects of corrosion? I'm ashamed to say I haven't drained nor cleaned the engine in my Wot trainer since I bought it 2 years ago, and it still runs beautifully once started...

• 3 weeks later...
  • Club Members

IMO it more depends on where and how you store your models. If stored somewhere that condensation through temp and humidity changes (inc overnight range) are high and especially with open pipes (vents, etc) then the risks are greater. Fire risk is another matter, for example your home insurance might be invalidated by storing fuel in it (in models). I have seen one policy where the limit applied was a tablespoonful of petrol or similar fuel!

Personally I have never normally run engines out of fuel at the end of use, never emptied tanks, never used after run oil. And I use between 20-25% nitro as a normal fuel, synthetic oil. I would only bother if leakage during transport or storage was likely. 1972 to date, no evidence of issues seen. Can't say its not an issue, but no evidence of one HERE.

Similar debate cyclicly occurs in the heritage transport sphere with both diesel and petrol. Some people insist that petrol should not be used after (say) six months or more in a tank without refill refreshing, dire warnings of bad running and worse. By long experience I have never EVER seen any issues arise.  How about a decade plus, several times over? (solder lined tanks so no rust issue).

Drifting completely off course, I CAN say that leaving 8 plus ton vehicles stood on their tyres unmoved for years DOES tend to produce a bumpy tooth loosening ride till the tyres warm enough to remove the flat spots!  :D

As they say, YMMV....................... ;)