This is a snapshot of the forum as it was on Thursday 2nd Dec 2021. Not everything will work.
It is not possible to login, edit or make any changes and is provided for prosterity for those who wish to view the old content.
C.A.M.F.C - Members & Visitors area

Horizon/Hanger 9 60" Ultra Stick.

• Club Members

Hi Guys.

I built my first Hanger 9 Ultra Stick around June 2018. The model was spanking new onto the market then and the first imported kits were hard to find at the time. Mine came from Als Hobbies in Milton Keynes with next day delivery for £206 delivered. The owner of the business is "Big Al". His son is" little Ali"... but better known to us all as Ali Machinsky!

When I was looking for my next model, I`d been impressed by the price, by its design heritage and the excellent Ultra Stick marketing videos put out by Hanger 9. It ticked all the right boxes and the videos on You Tube showed the model off to perfection with Ali explaining what he did to the original design to make it a brilliant performing all round model. I looked at loads of other competitive listings and reviews for models but kept coming back to the Ultra Stick as the one that "did it" for me. For me it would have been a "no brainer" not to have bought one.

The original model was designed by Phil Craft as the Ugly Stick back in the 1960`s. The best known version at the time was the Graupner offering resplendent in a red covering and sporting German World War 1 black on white Maltese Cross decals. It was certainly eye catching and everyone desperately wanted one. Few could afford it and the price was hard to entertain when a Skyleader servos cost around £25! Remember in reading this that my recollection comes from about 1975. The kit was an eye watering price at about £375. To put this in perspective, in 1972 my Father bought a brand new Triumph 200 estate with over-drive. That cost ex-works, £2200. Buying one of those Graupner kits was therefore a rich mans privilege!  Nearly sixty years later that the design has been modified in some form or other in shape or size and has been produced in kit form by over fifty different world wide manufacturers. It shows how popular the design became and how fond modellers are of it. It is as classic a design as a Keil Kraft Super Sixty but that kit was a mere fraction of the price of the Graupner Ugly Stick.

So the latest offering from Hanger 9 is their second generation of their Ultra Stick model which they let Ali Machinsky loose upon to update and improve. Ali hales from Milton Keynes and was head hunted by Horizon Hobbies in view of his modelling abilities and exceptionally high standard of flying. Adding his name to their resident staff based in the USA at Illinois was probably the most cute business move they were ever likely to make. His picture on the box in which the model is packaged shows Ali clutching an Ultra Stick. A good name will greatly assist marketing credibility and sales. That is a well proven strategy and Big Al can`t get his hands on the Hanger 9 Ultra Sticks fast enough. The kits sell like hot cakes and I know from experience just why that is and why this model is becoming so popular in this latest rendition.

The model comes pre-covered as an ARTF and is easily completed in around ten hours as either an electric or IC version with a power requirement of 10cc or greater. The kit includes everything needed to complete the model but not radio gear or any power package. All parts are to a good standard and there are no dodgy bits in either the parts package, covering or model structure. Put simply, a monkey could build this kit just with basic hand tools. My first example was built in my holiday caravan in the middle of the Kent Marshes without the use of mains electric power. You have to hinge and fix the control surfaces with CA adhesive, fit the control horns, run your own servo cables and/or use the piano wire inserts for pre-installed sheaths for rudder and elevators. Only when I installed a big 1.08 motor though with heavy nose weight, was I able to then fit the rudder and elevator servos in cut outs at the rear of the fuselage. The model is a light weight construction of laser cut ply and balsa. It is as tough as old boots and should last for years. The landing gear is made from painted aluminum and comes with a really nice pair of glass fibre spats (wheel pants) and bolt in axles. A ply support block is fitted and bonded into the spats and building the landing gear can be done in about half an hour. Three M4 cap bolts secure the undercart to the model. A pair of separate nylon type IC engine mounts also come with the kit with 104mm PCD bolt spacing and are capable of taking a typical 39mm crank case width 61 size motor. My No 1 model has an Irvine 72 fitted which is identical in physical size to the Irvine 61. A useful up-grade done without additional weight penalty.

Covering is Ultracover/Profilm. White is the under lying base colour with black trim and very high visibility fluorescent red/orange panels which really does make this model stand out in a stormy late afternoon November sky. The colour scheme really does pop. Now having two original Ultra Sticks and an additional self built clone fuselage, I found the cost of the fluorescent Oracover plus post rather on the expensive side. A two metre roll cost £30 with postal charges! Tough, That is what it costs and if you want it, you just have to stump up the cash. Indeed Ali said the fluorescent orange was expensive on his video!! Inevitably being a production kit, the covering although of a general high standard will need further shrinking up with a film iron to bring up top a top standard. That is no big deal and probably no different from any other factory built kit offering. Ten minutes with a hot film iron sorts the defects out without difficulty. The white and black on my clone is Hobby King and costs about £9.50 for a five metre 600mm roll. It is a shame that HK don`t market the flourescent red/orange as a product. Which is best, HK or Oracover? The HK material is lighter, covers defects more easily, has a much higher gloss and is cheaper. It is very good indeed. Anyone doubting he statement should see my Fokker Tri-plane covered in HK material. It is a real eye puller.

The kit comes with  a motor mount template for a 52 size electric motor, a 10cc Evolution two stroke or a Saito 19ccR radial. Those were engine types fitted to Ali`s prototypes. The template then is only useful if you are fitting one of those three motors. The thrust lines are laser burned onto the engine bulkhead so it is easy to mark out for your own chosen power unit. Your drill your own holes in the bulkhead, then insert T-nuts on the rear of the bulkhead. Nothing difficult about that. The supplied fuel tank is said to be 15oz. That it is not and is more like 10oz in size....perhaps H9 mean US fluid ounces? Being wise to this anomaly, I elected to buy a Jamara 16oz tank for an additional £5 when I ordered my second model from Big Al. I was after extended fuel capacity for my 1.08 powered variant and I was sure I could squeeze the 16oz tank in through the tank hatch. However the struggle was too much and I cut away the tank access panel, installed the tank and epoxied the panel back onto the model with a little re-covering being needed to cover up my surgical intervention. With the benefit of my experience, I would have thought a 14oz tank would be a better selection and would avoid having to chop the model around as I did. That tank space will also accommodate one of the 4-Max 3700 6 cell Lipo batteries with ease but fitting a similar larger 4500 battery is a bit of a squeeze. Ali`s preferred electric power combo is a 52 motor with a 5000 5 cell Lipo. An under tank floor void area is large enough to take a 60amp ESC and UBEC.

Fitting the large, inverted ASP 1.08 motor on this latest model (No 3) the front bulkhead mounting was a squeeze but easily accomplished using an ali OS 904 engine mount with 104mm PCD bolt spacing. This 904 mount has the same bolt spacing as the kit supplied nylon mounts which is convenient. My two IC variants are therefore capable of having either a 61-1.08 sized motor installed on either air-frame.

The wing is one piece, very light in weight and is fitted with aileron and flaps. Four separate servos fit on lid mounted brackets held to the wing mounts by self tapping screws. Flap actuation is simple in as much as an electronic servo reverser is not used. One simply flips one of the servos over in one flap servo bay and moves the control rod and horn further along the wing about an inch. Control horn position bolt holes are even marked and only need drilling out to receive 2mm mounting nuts and bolts. Stout 3mm control rods for tail mounted, aileron and flap servos together with clevises, lock nuts and fuel tube security keepers are included in the kit as is a white propeller spinner. Apart from RC gear and control wires, engine and possibly a larger tank,  there isn`t anything else you are likely to have to buy.

Spare parts stock in Europe is presently a little slow and separate spares are on the expensive side. A wing replacement is around £116 and a fuselage about £94. Landing gear with spats are about £60. In the event of a major smash with any owned model, it makes much better economic sense to buy a complete new kit and keep the usable parts from a stuffed model as spares for the new one. Buying from the States is possible. Assuming the replacement landing gear and shipping cost includes carriage and VAT this end, I`ve managed to save £30 buying Stateside on these. However, pricing a complete new kit from the States was just £70 but the shipping cost was £132! It gets worse. A £6 decal sheet attracted a shipping cost of £169!!!!!!! It would seem sensible to buy from a UK supplier or from the German Horizon European depot. Shopping around for best deals is a bit futile. Prices for complete kits are generally within about £5 of a best deal. As said, my kits hae come from Als Models and their service is absolutely first class, advice is freely given and deliery on week days is next day via DPD.

So far, the flying of this model type in my hands is rather limited. Steve Fysh at Riddlesdown MFC first flew the electric version in November last year. It was clear immediately that the model was as docile as it gets, aerobated well, landed incredibly slowly and would make an ideal trainer. I asked Steve if I needed to do anything to the model. Just like at the full sized Spitfire initial flight, the reply was "No, don`t touch it. Its perfect"! Now the additional models have arrived and await flight trials. Hopefully, I`ve manage to get an appropriate array of models that will lead me to A & B test levels and beyond. I suspect the .72 model will be similar in character to the ellctric model but be rather faster off the mark. As to the 1.08, model, well that might be quite exiting!

Specs as follows, all with the same wing selectively fitted and included in the total all up weight of each model. (Wing weight 2.02Lb/0.9Kg)

No 1. New and un-run Irvine 0.72/12cc motor with 12oz fuel tank. 2600 NiMh 6v power supply. 7 servos. Cloned, all ply fuselage. Dry weight 7.64Lbs/3.44Kg.

No2. Electric. 5065-420Kv, 6 cell, 22.2v 3700mAh lipo, 60aa ESC and 5a UBEC. 6 servos. Push rod wire elevator & rudder actuation. All up weight 7.17Lbs/3.25Kg

No 3. Low time, used ASP early model 1.08 with 160z Jamara tank.2600NiMh 6v power supply. 6 servos. Metal gear servos in tail. Dry weight 7.48Lbs/3.39Kg.

Manufacturers suggested guide weight, 7Lb/3.18Kg. It would be interesting to know what Ali Machinchy`s Saito 19R3 radial equipped model weighed. Rather more than 7Lb, I would imagine. Comparing Irvine and Saito weights from published data, the Saito would appear to be almost exactly one pound heavier than the Irvine bolted to my No 1 model. I would suggest then that the Saito powered prototype cannot have weighed less that 8Lb. That model flies like a witch and lands slowly with or without flap deployment. Only on that particular prototype can one see tail mounted servos used. No doubt that was actioned to off set the extra weight of the big 19cc Saito in a similar fashion to my own 1.08 powered model where I have also used servo weight in the tail to achieve an acceptable CofG position. Whilst my models are all heavier than even Ali`s electric model, Ali was using a lighter 5 cell lipo in that model.

What is also evident from examination of my own figures figures is that the 0.72 Irvine No 1 model is in fact heavier  by some 2.5oz than the 1.08 No 3 model. This is perhaps easily explained. I built the clone fuselage solely from 2.5 and 3.2mm ply. Today I closely looked at the genuine kit fuselage construction. I had not noticed that the outer skins of the kit fuselage are made from 4mm balsa with ply only being used internally on fuselage doublers. One lives and learns! I also included two more rear fuselage frames in the clone which were perhaps un-necessary.

I`m not concerned that the Irvine powered model weighs about half a pound more than the electric example. There is plenty of wing area available to support that extra weight.  Ali`s Saito example which must hit the 8Lb figure flies without issue so there is no cause for concern. That said, the proof is always in the eating. Ali Mac deserves well earned praise for this model. There really can`t be an easier kit on the market to build. The model flies superbly literally straight out of the box. I`m looking forward to a great 2019 flying season and hope to get some serious flying going. In addition, I now have a date for getting the electronic sciatic pain killing gizmo fitted which might help my mobility and make me more inclined to spend time away from home.

These models need to be flown not sat in my hangar. If any competent person would like to fly one or all of these models, then please come and talk to me about it. The more they fly, the happier I shall be. If I can source or build another wing, then we might see three in the air together. That would make quite a sight.

Images here show what has been built. Comments as always would be appreciated.

Cheers guys.

Mike

20190221_220135.jpg

20190118_012426.jpg

20190118_012409.jpg

20190117_003205.jpg

20190221_070416.jpg

20190221_070316.jpg

20190221_070159.jpg

20190221_070145.jpg

20190220_233631.jpg

20190220_233620.jpg

20190126_220014.jpg

20190126_083020.jpg

20190124_185247.jpg

20190124_185221.jpg

• Club Members

A bit more spin on the Ultra Stick and its derivatives.

I see Hobby King are punting a 1200mm class Ugly Stick type model for just £61 plus post. This is known as a Crusader 30E and runs with 9g servos. Flaps do not seem configured on the model so a basic four channel set up would be quite adequate for it. Primarily designed for electric power the model has more in common with the old Ugly Stick than the rather more advanced H9 Ultra Stick development. Obviously this little air-frame could be modified to IC power. I might get one of these models just to mop up a spare OS.35 that is kicking around here. The kit is ARTF and comes pre-covered. I see this model as a nice little "expendable" unit that might be ideal as a trainer. No doubt my grand daughter, Esme, would be tickled pink if I were to give her one of these. H-King Crusader 30E 1200mm Stick (47.3") (ARF)

I`ve had it in mind to tackle another H9 Ultra Stick but this time to look at converting it to low wing. Images below show what other modellers have achieved. Conversion entails simply flipping the fuselage upside down (symmetrical wing section) and then re-locating the fin and rudder on the fuselage in an "inverted position. Whether this would affect ground handling to any significant degree needs thinking about. Others have also cut the wing in half on the centre line and added three degrees of dihedral to counter adverse yaw which has been known to occur on low wing Ultra Stick conversions. Conversions seen in the attached images seem to have been well done and look very sweet indeed. Naturally, I`m tempted to have a go myself. I have a pile of servos coming and recently acquired another pre-used Irvine 72 with good compression for £35. I bought the engine as spare stock. It isn`t as tidy visually as the brand new engine I bought from Rob Newman recently but fitted with a new anodised red cylinder head, it would then visually lift to almost new appearance. It could certainly be fitted to a low wing Ultra Stick and add another to my growing fleet. With the same white, black and florescent orange colour scheme, a low winger would certainly cause a visual double take. Its something to cogitate upon whilst I rebuild badly depleted finances!

Mike

Ultra Stick low wing.jpg

Ultra Stick low wing 2.jpg

low wing ultra stick.jpg

20190221_070316.jpg

20190221_070304.jpg

Edited by Mike.K
Additional images added.

Very interesting summary indeed Mike. I have actually been looking at an Ultra Stick as a hack-type model. You see, I used to run a second hand (£45 bargain) Wot Trainer, until her tailplane succumbed to both my exuberant flying and her age. The problem I now have is that the market doesn't seem to be awash with new contenders. All of the new Wot 4' and Wot Trainers are too flimsy for my purposes, and wouldn't cope too well for very long. The other alternative is to immerse myself in the second hand market once more, but there are a few problems with that, the main ones being that they are nearly all crash damaged, too expensive, or would need new engine/radio gear etc. My Wot Trainer had a rx in it, and the faithful SC .46 pulled it around the field doing rolls and pulling gliders for nearly 2 years.

The best hack model? Anyone would say the Wot 4, but I might just give the Ultra Stick a chance!

Edited by Pilot Ben
  • Club Members

Here you go, Ben.

Available from Als Hobbies on weekday, next day delivery by DPD. Ask for Big Al and mention my name. Ultra Stick 10cc ARF (A-HAN2345)

These two videos show Ali discussing the model and flying it.

13:15 Hangar 9 Ultra Stick 10cc ARF 60" Flight Talk

3:54 Hangar 9 Ultra Stick 10cc ARF 60

It would be nice to get a squadron of them flying together!

Ten good modellers sat round a table together with basic tools could have one flying in an hour!

Mike

• Club Members

I`ve copied and pasted the text below which I`ve extracted from my post asking for advice on a suitable B-test model. As it is about the Ultra Stick, it seems appropriate I add it to this thread. It makes interesting reading.

"This is an old PDF from around 2001 and can be found attached at the foot of this posting. It is an extract from the RCM magazine publication of a similar period. This is the write up of an inverted "low wing" conversion undertaken by Jim Feldmann...presumably in the States. Jims` conversion was applied to the then current Hanger 9 Ultra Stick Lite 78" version which was the earlier H9 kit produced before Ali completely reworked the design into the version which hit the suppliers shelves in 2018. Jims` low wing conversion appears very nicely executed having acquired a bubble canopy and pilot, a Pitts type cowl, had its fuselage inverted, fin and rudder inverted together with a dorsal strake below the lower, rear fuselage added and the landing gear moved forward to enable the wing to mount without obstruction. The model has also gained a rounded turtle deck which softens appearance somewhat.

My next proposed Ultra Stick is highly likely to be a low winger with an inch or so of dihedral added to the wing to counter adverse rudder yaw. As I understand it from other forums, the low winger then flies pretty much the same as a high wing model. My intention would not be to add the extras that Mr Feldmann built onto his model, but would keep the hard edged appearance of the standard H9 model complete with an "inverted" colour scheme. This would be quickest done by stripping the fuselage covering off completely and recovering once modifications are complete. Using the remaining stock of my Hobby King white and black together with florescent red Oracover which I have here, the re-cover costs will be minimal with time taken to re-cover being just a couple of hours. If another H9 kit arrived tomorrow, I`d estimate that I`d have a conversion ready to fly in little more than a couple of days. These kits really do build quickly and without issue."

It looks as if a third landing gear ordered from the States is on the move again out of Heathrow via carrier. This will enable all three models to be fitted with a spatted landing gear. In the meantime, I`m off up to Fickleshole in a moment with a view to joining Trevor for a bit of flying. The plan is to fly the electric Ultra Stick and perhaps run engines on the other two air-frames. I`ll take a camera and see if I can grab some images.

Mike

Ultra_Stick_Lw_RCM-1307_Article(1).pdf

• 3 months later...
  • Club Members

An update on flying my No 1 Ultra Stick. This is an original built in June last year which first flew in the hands of Steve Fysh last November at the Riddlesdown MFC site below Edenbridge. The model was proclaimed as all good with pleasant handling, nice landing characteristics but performance wise was not that quick on the 6 cell, 420Kv and 14x8 prop.

This model and several others built since November languished in my hanger awaiting the onset of nicer weather. The model flew again in mid April 2019 at Riddlesdown with me being passed the transmitter on that second flight. After a 44 year break from the hobby, I found no control difficulty but was obviously a tad rusty with technique. That didn`t stop me making several good flights with take offs and landings not causing any real issues other than learning the finals landing positioning. I was quickly doing "touch and goes" and received a dedicated two training flights off the buddy box to fine up on technique and to start to prepare me for the A-test. A prop change at that time to a 15x8 proved beneficial to performance and lead sheet was added as nose ballast when using a lighter 1.2Lb 3700 Lipo. This shifted nose weight forward and alleviated a tail down flying attitude. When using a 4500 lipo weighing 1.5Lb, additional nose ballast was not required. If I were to offer further opinion on this, I`d say it might be prudent to move internal fuselage mounted rudder and elevators forward as far as possible towards the CofG position with the relatively light 5065-420Kv or 360Kv electric motor set up. Installing a large lipo in the nose makes reasonable sense but space is somewhat cramped with a 4500 unit.

As regards suitability for an A-test, No1 Ultra Stick fitted the task to perfection. I worked solidly for two weeks attempting to fly every day at Fickles hole. Dear Trevor made a benign and very encouraging tutor, initially flying the Stick to get the feel for it, then passing control over to me using a second compatible Futaba transmitter with buddy box lead. I requested this action as the Fickeshole flying site is about one sixth of the size of that found at the Riddlesdown field down below Edenbridge at Mark Beech. I had the jitters about initially flying the Stick myself as it was somewhat larger than the 47" Mini Super I cut my teeth on when flying from Fickleshole in late 2018. The first flight under Trevors` experienced guidance went well, indeed I even managed a passable landing. Suitably reassured, I then did a second flight by buddy box with Trevor getting finger ache by having to permanently hold the master Tx transfer switch up for so long. The next flight had me doing take-offs, "touch and goes" and several more landings. Trevor said I was good to go solo, so off I went again with confidence and technique again improving by the moment. Then followed the two weeks of concerted effort to learn the A-test schedule and bone up on the 32 questions on the BMFA syllabus and fully drumming in the CAMFC local rules found in the Club joining pack. To memorize the BMFA questions, I hand copied onto four sheets of A4 paper both the questions and the answers. In this way it forced the contents into my mind and I took "possession and ownership" of the content. This methodology was learned when I studied at Brunel College in Bristol twenty six years ago for a Civil Aviation Authority Licensed Aircraft Maintenance Engineers qualification. (LAME) The method worked well enough for me all those years back so I saw no reason why it should not work again. Repeated scanning of those question and our local Club rules helped greatly when on test day, Trevor quizzed me for answers.

So what makes the Ultra Stick such a good candidate for A and possibly B-test use? Firstly the model is exceptionally resistant to damage. It shrugs off heavy landings, has a wide flight envelope encompassing the ability to fly very slowly especially with just a little flap deployed. It is also aerobatic, will fly rolling circles and 3D in the right hands. It is apparently capable of flying with a two stoke .46 up to and including a Saito R3 19cc petrol radial! I`ve only had one mishap due to a momentary loss of concentration when attempting a landing in flat calm conditions from the Biggin Hill end of the site. Frustratingly, the large oak tree in the corner marched out and grabbed the model! The Stick lodged in a bough for a couple of seconds before dropping horizontally twenty feet to the ground. Damage was confined to a slightly damaged starboard leading edge, a crumpled wing tip, the tail-plane knocked off, the wing/fuselage mount torn out and several minor dings. Nine hours of frantic repair work had the model ready again in time to take the A-test the next day.

I can`t admit anything else other than to say I suffered a confidence drop following the tree incident. I flew a check flight with the Stick first thing on the Tuesday morning. The jitters had returned but the Ultra Stick remained docile and forgiving of my somewhat shaky flying during the test. Undoubtedly, the most difficult task to perform during the A-test is the dead stick landing. I`d practiced this task many times during my run up to test day and out of the fifteen or so dead stick attempts done during practice, only three of them resulted in my landing short in the rough. At least that gave me some experience of dead stick landings and I`m glad I put the effort into attempting to get that aspect of the test well ingrained. The Ultra Stick took a severe pounding during those attempts at forced landings but apart from sustaining a slightly bent rear motor cruciform mount, it came through unscathed. Had I used an old Super Sixty for similar training, I`m sure it would have gone home as a nylon covered pile of matchwood. It simply wouldn`t have taken the punishment. On the day of the test and the dead stick demonstration, I hit the pitch nicely at about a quarter of the way along the strip and finished the roll out without running into the high field crop. The Ultra Stick looks after you in the air and tolerates speedy arrivals with aplomb.

I have two people to thank for helping me obtain the A-test. My sincere thanks go to Trevor Searle for his tolerance, patience and time input during the past couple of months. Trevor is totally unflappable and is a master at gauging pupil aptitude and instilling enthusiasm and quiet correction where necessary. I made mistakes along the A-test journey but Trevor helped with timely and effective correction. So a very big thanks are extended to him. I`m deeply grateful.

At a distance in Illanois, I have also voiced my thanks to Ali Machinsky and Hanger 9 for producing such a cost effective, robust and totally bullet proof model. My No 1 Stick has done me proud and I can only say that if you are looking for a docile model to complete an A-test, the the 60" Ultra Stick ticks all the boxes. It does what it says on the tin and the videos of Alis` prototypes demonstrate model capability.

Cheers, guys. Thank you all too for your help and encouragement.

The image below of Trevor and I together following the test was kindly sent to me by Ivan Smith.

Mike

IMG-20190530-WA0001.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Club Members

I already have one, Ben, although it is a scratch built version! Images below. I scaled the 10cc model up by 33.3% and it made an appearance at last years model competition evening at one of the CAMFC monthly gatherings. At that time it was unfinished but I think it was the model that landed me a trophy at the February AGM. I recall I won three awards for the pile of models I brought along but can`t recall which one exactly won the trophy. That said, I`m pretty sure it was the big Ultra Stick that did it!!

It is a big bruiser and probably somewhat heavier than an original kit version. It weighs in at some 14Lb with the wing and metal geared servos accounting for about 4Lb of the total all up dry flying weight. It is a tad heavy aft of CoG and I put that down to an over heavy build at the tail end plus only having an SC1.08 on the front. Lead has had to be added. I think power might be marginal so when I get back to that model again, I`ll be looking for something like a cheapo Mokki 1.40 which might help get weight and balance under better control.

The genuine big 30cc model flies like a witch. There is a Youtube vid around which shows a fella called Azza flying the nuts off the thing. Although it is a big model, it seems to do everything its smaller brother does without difficulty. The most popular motors seem to be around 35cc and are petrol four stroke.

There we go.

Mike

20180901_112821.jpg

20180901_112859.jpg

20180808_195259.jpg

20180808_195315.jpg

20180808_195706.jpg

20180808_203536.jpg

20180810_173637 (2).jpg

20180810_173637.jpg

20180810_212215.jpg

20180810_212254.jpg

20180810_212329.jpg

20180817_030632.jpg

20180817_154652.jpg

20180818_184131.jpg

20180821_210724.jpg

20180821_210830.jpg

20180821_211256.jpg

20180824_185502.jpg

20180905_230911.jpg

20180905_230835.jpg

20180905_233124.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • Club Members

Here is a link to a little video our Ivan Smith kindly filmed and kindly put together having shot one of my flights with Ultra Stick No1 with a lead ballasted six cell 3700 LiPo, a 5065-420Kv motor and 15x6 prop. This is the model I`ve been consistently flying since April this year. Thanks to Dave Bran for watching my antics closely and observing that the model does indeed fly in a somewhat tail down attitude....I`ll try a spot more lead at the next flying session.

These flights were filmed on an almost totally windless day and approach speeds are a little high. My final flight that day used about three quarters of available flap deployment and certainly slowed down the arrivals. Yip, I need more practice using flaps and there is still a mass to be learned. It all takes time. Anyway here is the video and thanks to Ivan for filming it.https://youtu.be/L6vphFPwPrA

Mike

• 6 months later...
  • Club Members

Just keeping this thread alive.....9th February 2020.

Six Ultra Stick 10cc models now in stock, plus one large 30cc scratch built clone.

No 1 is my original Hangar 9 , now a little battered electric version. Repaired several times and still going strong.

No 2 is an Irvine Q72 two stroke side mounted in a clone fuselage. Unflown.

No 3 is an original Hangar 9 fuselage fitted with a high powered, pumped, Yamada YS140FS with tail mounted servos and rear of fuselage mounted battery pack. Built as an engine test bed. Unflown.

No 4 is my original Hangar 9 kit converted to low wing configuration and fitted with a side mounted ASP.91 two stroke. The wing has been cut and re-joined with a little dihedral for stability and to counter any possibility of adverse rudder yaw. Unflown.

No 5 is a stretched, scratch built, twin engined version using two .46 OS two strokes. It is known as "The Scary Stick" for obvious reasons.  Unflown!

No 6 is another clone fuselage fitted with an ASP120FS and tail mounted servos. Built as another flying engine test bed. Unflown.

All the conventional standard high wing models share two original Hangar 9 wings. Replacements cost £116 each with the full kit costing just £90 more. Buying extra wings is hard to justify....you might as well buy the full kit and keep the spares parts and fuselage!

The No4 low winger has its own dihedralled wing.

This stock list should be enough to keep me flying during the coming 2020 season.

Mike

20200208_201057.jpg

20200208_201113.jpg

20200208_201131.jpg

20200208_212203.jpg

20200206_090055.jpg

20200206_084341.jpg

20200206_084220.jpg

20200131_103733.jpg

20200207_082258.jpg

20200207_082311.jpg

IMG-20200202-WA0001.jpg