This is a snapshot of the forum as it was on Thursday 2nd Dec 2021. Not everything will work.
It is not possible to login, edit or make any changes and is provided for prosterity for those who wish to view the old content.
C.A.M.F.C - Members & Visitors area

Anyone got a lathe and some Ali?

Anybody got a lathe out there who can turn me up a bit of Aluminium?

I need a bit of Ali Bar, about 30mm Dia but that's not crucial, with a 10mm hole drilled through it, parted off to 14mm long.

Thats it... :)

• 3 weeks later...

Jim,

I can help. I have a lathe and milling machine so drilling a hole through some bar will not be a prob. I think in my scrap box I may have some ali bar. Let me know what you want and a dwg etc . Sounds as though you are making an extension shaft or something if so you will be better ofwith mild steel.

Pete

Hi there both.

Sorry for the delay in replying but Ive been out of the country as you may know.

Well I need a 30mm dia piece of Ali bar (the diameter is not really importamnt but around 30mm), 14mm in length, with a 10mm hole in it.

The Bevan boys are very kindly making me one out of PTFE which I think will do the job.

Its to space a propellor further down the cranckshaft Peter. PTFE was suggested to conform to the knurling on the prop driver and back of the spinner plate.

Thanks both for your offers - much appreciated. Lets see what the brothers grim have come up with :)

Jim,

No problem If you need one then let me know. I think PTFE will distort and slip but I could be wrong. I have just made an extension piece for my Laser 150 in my Miles Speedsix this was about 2ins long and needed a spindle out of steel. It is a good way to go and gives the flexibility to put the engine where you want it.

If you get problems let me know. I am sure that Alan or yours truly can knock something up for you.

Pete

Peter

On you extension, what did you do in reation to the extension ubutting the knurling on the popr driver?

The driver on my engine has some trianglur ridges machine in lines straight acros the face of the driver. Im worried that if I fit a steel or Ali spacer wither the driver will be crushed to an extent, or the spacer will spin on the ridges.

Di you make a sleeved nut like Neil supplies?

Jim

Jim,

There is away of putting the knurling as prop nut on the extension.

I will bring mine along on saturday and then let me know what you want and then I will make and bring to club night

Hope this is ok

Pete