This is a snapshot of the forum as it was on Thursday 2nd Dec 2021. Not everything will work.
It is not possible to login, edit or make any changes and is provided for prosterity for those who wish to view the old content.
C.A.M.F.C - Members & Visitors area

Rusted Engines/After Run Oil

Hi Chaps,

Finally got to the bottom of the issues I've been having with my J'En .37. Turns out the cylinder liner/crankshaft had rusted! My newbie error, as I'd had the engine run-in by Just Engines back in October and then left it on a shelf. The hygroscopic nature of methanol did the rest I guess...

Anyway, mistake accepted, I now need to work out how to store my engines a bit better. I'm a little concerned that my other engine could have suffered a similar fate as it hasn't been used for 3-4 weeks and although I drained the fuel tank, I didn't actually run the engine until it cut after this. My Model Technics after-run oil only arrived in the post today (now applied inside engine)... should I expect another trashed engine here?

Any chance you "old hands" give me some tips on what you consider best practice in this area please, both in terms of what I should be doing at the field after a days flying, and what I should be doing if I'm not going to fly for a couple weeks (which is unfortunately likely for me).

Cheers chaps!

PS. Jim - this will almost certainly be able to form the basis for a newsletter article :)

LOL - I look forward to it Arun!

Perceived wisdom is as follows:

At end of the day, empty the tank, and then run the engine until it won't fire anymore (all fuel used up in the system).

Add after-run oil into the system (through the carb venturi or similar) and turn the enine over to distribute the oil around the motor.

If possible, store the model with the motor prop-up, so that any remaining oil runs away from the bearings into the bottom of the crank-case to eliminate rusting of the bearings as much as possible.

I should say, that I've never used after-run oil myself. I did buy some once, and I think its now drained into my flight box :)

If you are going to be not using an engine for a while, repeat the same procedure, but remove the engine, and add quite a lot of oil (almost any thin oil will do - I use 3-in-1) to the engine interior. Make sure the oil is well distibuted. Put the motor in a plastic bag and seal the bag as far as possible. This should alllow the motpr to be stored for years if necessary.

Hows that?