This is a snapshot of the forum as it was on Thursday 2nd Dec 2021. Not everything will work.
It is not possible to login, edit or make any changes and is provided for prosterity for those who wish to view the old content.
C.A.M.F.C - Members & Visitors area

Futaba 10CG - Total throttle cut solved?

• Administrators

Awite geezers....

So, I "think" I finally have the throttle cut issue resolved with the Futaba 10CG, because I wanted a way to throw the Xeno and have instant 100% throttle at the flick of a switch with my right hand, and still control the right stick...

I simply set 2 throttle curves, 1 with zero throttle regardless of throttle position, and at the flick of a switch, normal throttle curve, so I can flick the switch to set all 0% throttle, throw the wing over my head with fingers still safe, and as soon as its out of my hand, flick a switch and watch it go, while still controlling its direction!

Simples :shock:

Not the textbook way to do it, but the 10CG doesnt have any way to 100% kill the throttle that I can remember, although I did manage it another way, somehow, a year or so ago, but cant for the life of me remember how I did it, so this seemed much easier..

Should work.. :mrgreen:

• Club Members

Yes, neat way round it. I have done it another way, and can't remember that way either............... :wink:

BUT...........

Wings are much much better launched with at least a little power on, and the 100% reliable safe and stable used for many years way of doing it (if right handed) is to hold the Tx in the right hand with thumb on RH stick, hold leading edge of left wing of plane away from prop zone with left hand, set throttle with mouth or chin on throttle stick, and discus launch it in front of you.

You then instantly have full control of flight surfaces, and a sensible power level that will help the plane get away from you safely (for it and you).

I also launch unpowered slope wings that way and often fly for some time without using the left hand at all.

If you are worried about having a "girlie" throw left handed practise it at home with a paper plate or frisbee.

I use this same technique to have an arming switch on my 8FG. By default the curve is 0% across the range - the motor can't run. But switching the switch move to a positive throttle curve and away we go...

• Administrators

Hiya Dave, I dont mind launching the slipstream that way, but the Xeno is at least 2 or 3 tmes heavier, so, side launching it is a pig, hence the need to find a new way, as I really want to fly it again some more..

Thanks Arun, glad to know its not me doing something odd, that others do it like that too :D

When my back is better I hope to be able to test this out now, because those 2 - 3 seconds after throwing the Xeno, to getting the power on, are enough for it to be back on the ground already.

• Club Members

Hope your back feels better soon Rich.

Neat solution to throttle isolation if you don't want to play with mixes. I'll file it away for later use!

:D:D

• Administrators
Hope your back feels better soon Rich.

Neat solution to throttle isolation if you don't want to play with mixes. I'll file it away for later use!

:D:D

This one is definately going into my RC blog too, as I've seen others asking things like this about the Fut 10CG, and even its manual says it doesnt have a 100% throttle cut option, only throttle cut for IC models, where it closes the carb.. No good for an ESC..

• Administrators

Cheers mate, but the 10CG is specifically listed as not being able to manage a throttle cut at all on Electric models, in both its user manual, and the official programming guide I had to buy, which was basically somebody translated the bloody manual into something understandable.

The 10C has it, but not the CG, but I know Leon was setting kill switches on the 7C's at the field a few weeks ago, he was running about shouting "off-set" with a big grin on his face lol, hence I wanted to find a way to actually do this on the 10CG, even though the manual and user guide say it cant be done..

I've never used an 8FG, but dual arming switches, are we really all that clumsy, or do I have short fingers?

Makes sense mate, glad you sorted it. The reason I posted the other link is I wondered if the 10* series had a 'motor' channel which might be something you could also use to achieve what you want.

Dual arming makes a lot of sense to me with big electric motors. 1000W+ power setups could do horrendous damage to someone as with a 16/17" prop and batteries capable of providing 100A they are just going to keep on trying to cut through whatever they meet :) Maybe I'm just paranoid since I chopped my fingers, but I like the idea on bigger models...

• Administrators

True, didnt think of those big Mothers that fly on EP...

Still, anything on EP is dangerous to life an limbs, but maybe I'm just very pedantic about safety since my very first encounter with electric motors and having a model go flying across my office after arming itself, because no manuals had it anywhere that Ch3 on Futaba had to be reversed! lol..

Now I'm simply cautious, and methodic with all models, keeping safety in mind all the time, hence the wanting to find a way to launch the Xeno, safely, without loss of a digit. or Garard loosing an arm or breaking his neak..

Sadly the 10 doesnt have any super duper updatable card thingy, so its software is all you got, cant update it, and the 8FG is SD card updatable, so its likely to be far more recent software than my 10CG. The 10C/CH doesnt have a motor channel sadly.

Bit of a shame, but hey ho...

Am wondering how the heck you do update the firmware on a 10CG now lol...

(Big box addressed to ripmax and a 6 month wait probably)

• Club Members

You won't address issues that may exist in the firmware on a 10CG because it was never designed to do so (as you said) and because Futaba have moved on and have no intention of even glancing at a 10CG again, let alone updating it.

Like nearly all products, it's a victim of its time. However, its a good reliable Tx with little of substance to complain about, so good that I know a still growing number of very experienced 3D Heli flyers (who drive a Tx more heavily than most RC Pilots) who have returned to one FROM an 8FG, because they consider after trying both that the feel is much better on the 10.

If you want an instance of a Tx that SHOULD have been updated, take the DX6i, which has a serious error in firmware never addressed, not even warned of in update/documentation, even though a user developed workround exists but has never been promoted, and the base fault still exists on product sold today, waiting to trip people up (as it regularly does). THAT is disgraceful!!!

Not a Spekky/Futaba preference rant, as I use both, BTW, but personal experience.

As said, above (say) 100W I would consider it imperative to have a form of throttle lockout, and if you don't have one and remember to always use it on (say) a 300W or more system, you'd REALLY better look out, as it's just itching to seriously bite you and those around you.

Ultimately though, like all such issues, it comes down to the knob on the sticks..........

• Club Members

BTW, the 10CG has a perfectly good Throttle cut/hold system in the Heli side of the programming house, they just seem to have fallen asleep while doing the fixed wing side!!

• Administrators
BTW, the 10CG has a perfectly good Throttle cut/hold system in the Heli side of the programming house, they just seem to have fallen asleep while doing the fixed wing side!!

This is what triggered me to set this up now, as I was watching the Finless bob videos you told me to watch over a year ago and he did a video series on the Futaba 10C too, where he shows the Futaba 10C and its wonderful throttle cut menu, leaving me sitting there scratching ones head like the dog who didnt get a bone...

"Huh, wheres mine"...