This is a snapshot of the forum as it was on Thursday 2nd Dec 2021. Not everything will work.
It is not possible to login, edit or make any changes and is provided for prosterity for those who wish to view the old content.
C.A.M.F.C - Members & Visitors area

Uno Wot trainer build

I built one but didn't cover it a few years back - can probably answer most questions with the odd photo to help jog my memory. I think "assembly" is pushing it - you will be doing lots of gluing of formers and sheeting surfaces, I think what Chris Foss means is that it is not an open-structure build. Anyway, is easy enough to put together - just need a couple of set-squares to keep it honest. I think they describe his models as Almost-Ready-to-Build (ARTB)!!

Don't forget you will need to fuel proof the engine bay on a kit build - lot's of ways to do this, but warmed up epoxy glue (so is runny) painted on works well. Would suggest M4 plastic screws, as recently on Martin's trainer we have been finding that M3 go too easily - but then that can be a good thing too :) If I remember correctly hinges supplied where pinned, I would personally switch these to cyano/mylar but is more of an implementation detail.

Cheers,

Arun

From searching Google the main recommendation is to reinforce the undercarriage mounting area

My guess is there is some confusion between the original kit-build "Uno Wot" (which you presumably have), and the similar recent Ripmax ARTF version "Wot Trainer". The latter is actually a glue-less ARTF and goes together faster than any model I've seen. Confusing huh? The kit version (like all CF models) is built like a tank and shouldn't need UC reinforcement, the ARTF version (like all ARTF models!) will need reinforcing. Always a good idea to use plastic bolts regardless.

Cheers,

Sam

• Club Members
Would suggest M4 plastic screws, as recently on Martin's trainer we have been finding that M3 go too easily - but then that can be a good thing too :)

Actually, it started with M4 nylons which broke too easily, then upgraded to M5 nylons which are about right (possibly still a little eager to break). This is with two screws for a very WOT4-like metal undercarriage.

Martin