This is a snapshot of the forum as it was on Thursday 2nd Dec 2021. Not everything will work.
It is not possible to login, edit or make any changes and is provided for prosterity for those who wish to view the old content.
C.A.M.F.C - Members & Visitors area

Propeller for Saito 82

arun

Anyone got any good tips on propellers for this engine - specifically paired with an ARTF AcroWot?

I'm planning to test the following:

Graupner G-sonics recommended by Dave Wilshere (Motors & Rotors) - apparently this range loads up very differently to APC props. The suggested pitches are:

13x8

14x7

I also have an APC 14x4 wide - a few people seem to have had success with this.

Those of you that have run the Saito in the past - what props have you used?

• Club Members

You've been here presumably..............

http://saito-engines.info/index.html (not an official site)

I would have thought the 14x4 would be well over-revving it, more a 3D prop for a top end power engine (a prop which I have used as such to good effect, but not on that engine or design of plane).

Incidentally, if you want to know where the Acro-Wot design probably originated, look at a Zlin L-50.

Agree, the 14x4W is a long shot and as it happens did come as a recommendation from a 3D pilot - but I was given it free (by a Scotsman!) so thought I'd test it.

I have indeed checked out that link and the manual for the engine, but what I was hoping someone might advise was not what the right dia/pitch was - this is reasonably well defined, but more the difference across brands. e.g. Brand A, B, C could each produce a 14x6 that puts the engine under significantly different loads and therefore revs.

Anyway, in the end I'll probably take the safe but boring approach of the 14x6 APC, but seems like there is a limited amount of empirical data out there comparing different brands...

• Club Members

Too personal a matter really, and what I may like, you may think either unresponsive or too responsive.

It isn't always the obvious one that is best, either.

Example, the Zenoah powered Extra I bought from Spiffy. He advised it was aerobatic in the "scale" plane sense but wasn't capable of 3D, would not prop hang, etc. It had an expensive Zinger wood. I measured it......it was 1" smaller diameter than the size printed on it (and had not been modified!)

I fitted a Master Airscrew of the same notional size/pitch, which was dirt cheap and all that Avicraft had to hand. Usually these are pretty poor things that bludgeon the air to death.

The engine LOVED IT............

go figure.......................... :roll: