This is a snapshot of the forum as it was on Thursday 2nd Dec 2021. Not everything will work.
It is not possible to login, edit or make any changes and is provided for prosterity for those who wish to view the old content.
C.A.M.F.C - Members & Visitors area

Ic Engine Starter motor

• Club Members

Really interesting but not very practical. Sometimes my engines wont start even with the electric starter. As arun says, half the fun is messing around trying to start them

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk 2

• Club Members

I'm certainly NOT in the "flicking is fun" camp...........I'm in the "get it in the air by the fastest means and thrash it" camp...............I don't have any difficulties flick starting engines, but do not see the point, and nobody is going to convince me risking my finger(s) is a good thing!

On board starters?............ a lot of weight and complexity to carry for the sole useful purpose of maybe being able to recover from a dead stick in a dodgy place.

Many years ago I joined North Birmingham RC Boat Club. In "M" boat racing you start the engine and launch as part of the race. Power starters were perfectly legal, stated so clearly in the rules, yet no-one was using them as the leather strop wrapped around the pulley was "better for the engine"........... :roll::roll:

Me, I was racing, and didn't give a toss how much strain or not the engine would suffer, it wasn't going to fail in the short term and wasn't going to be competitive by half way through the season anyway, I just wanted the boat out on the water, so I used a motor...............and got glared at like I was the devil incarnate, it was JUST like Star Trek when the Klingon High Council excommunicate Worf, they all glared, folded arms and turned away...............!!

Ha Ha very good comparison ... I am with bravedan here I just want to fly I don't really care to save 2 or 300n grams of weight I just stick a bigger engine on, starter motor is cool just flick a switch and away you go, no messing around with starters and that, I will probably start using them and get an on-board glow so I don't have to bother to stick the glow plug neither..

All this is called EVOLUTION and that is the beauty of it..

I can see why people likes to flick them and fiddle with them and retune them and bring it back home and take engines apart and clean and rebuild and bla bla bla... I just want to flick switches...and fly.

the company that does them is in Germany I shall get on to them and get a kit, try it and bring it back..

Bare the way the video that you saw the kit is for a marine engine, on the beginning of the video the MAG page showed a ic kit and it looks a lot lighter .