This is a snapshot of the forum as it was on Thursday 2nd Dec 2021. Not everything will work.
It is not possible to login, edit or make any changes and is provided for prosterity for those who wish to view the old content.
C.A.M.F.C - Members & Visitors area

Super Custom 46 Tuning Headache (_SOLVED_)

• Club Members

As some of you might know, at the field I've been having problems tuning the engine in the boomerang resulting in a series of deadstick landings, lack of power and a crash :(

The high speed needle wouldn't fully shut off the fuel into the carb even when it was fully closed and as a result you could never properly tune the engine - always being far too rich or lean, often changing in mid flight!!!

Today, the high speed needle has been replaced and it has completely resolved the problem in its entirity. More power at the top end, more revs, more reliable performace (much to the neighbours pleasure .. :evil: ) with its optimum setting at about 3/4 of a turn from fully closed - exactly where I'd expect it to be. :D

If you have an SC series engine in your plane and are having problems like this, try replacing the high speed needle with one that has a slightly longer taper. It seems that some 2 stroke Super Custom engines are being suppied with the incorrect high speed needles or a 4 stroke needle as in my case. It seems to be a quality control problem at the factory where there made ... :(

Shane :plane: