This is a snapshot of the forum as it was on Thursday 2nd Dec 2021. Not everything will work.
It is not possible to login, edit or make any changes and is provided for prosterity for those who wish to view the old content.
C.A.M.F.C - Members & Visitors area

Jen's 57 good alternative to Irvine 53?

HI All,

It seems that Irvine's 53 are out of stock every where I look !

now I have seen that Jen's 57 is available from just engines, my question is, is there any one that has one or that has used Jen's engines, there seem to be a lot of double thoughts in regards to this engines, some say they are good some say they are bad.

I would like to hear your thoughts.

Also I have heard that they run badly on 10% nitro and 5% is advised.

I had a Jen .37 not .57 but they are same design to all intents and purposes. Sadly, I was very unimpressed. The internals of the cylinder rusted despite the engine being well stored with oil and left un-run for less than two months. In the air I found it was OK in my Weston Cougar but would cut out during extended periods of idle (e.g. a four turn spin) which led to "exciting" landings. The engine itself feels heavy and basic to me compared to a modern OS, but maybe rugged is a nicer description!

They also use a ringed piston so require much more and careful running in than an ABC engine. Overall, I would say don't go there - but that is just my opinion, I know others are happy with them and you should hear their opinions too :)

Edited by Guest
  • Club Members

Never had one, as from 40 plus years engineering background and information from many sources when I resumed in 2009 I decided to avoid. Nothing I have heard since (quite a bit) convinces me I made a wrong decision.