This is a snapshot of the forum as it was on Thursday 2nd Dec 2021. Not everything will work.
It is not possible to login, edit or make any changes and is provided for prosterity for those who wish to view the old content.
C.A.M.F.C - Members & Visitors area

Long-EZ 46 Canrad Kit by Richmodel

Well here is my new toy I bought at the show.

Looks nice in and out of the box. ARTF made in China.

So all joints will be examined and critical area's may need some CA or epoxy and maybe even a bit of tri stock. Also the ali under cart is crap so will replace with another.

Engine will be either my ASP 52 or might use the engine form my pylon racer and put the old Irvine 40 on the pylon racer to set it up for legal pylon racing with a 9*7.

Here is a pic of the plane.

I bet there are a lot of new planes out there waiting to be built after the show. Come on gents show us your new toys.

Her Klunk

Well I have run wood glue and CA along most of the stressed area's of the fuse and esp the firewall. Under cart fixed on and front wheel. CA ailerons to wings and fitted servo trays in wings and wing lets.

Will add rudders to wing lets in the future. Will put two mini servos in each wing for rudders.

So some progress made.

Now need some input as the model control surfaces can be set up as Ailerons and Canard Elevator or Flaperons and Canard Elevator or Elevons and Canard Elevator. Him the mind boggles at the options although the first two are the more standard setup. So comments please.

André

Andre,

Having just finished a 1/4 scale Rutan Longeze I can offer some comment. The Long eze didn't use flaps just straight forward ailerons at the back and elevator at the front. The rudders only worked singularly ie turning left you would input left rudder the right rudder bwould stay neutral etc. For landing the rudders would act as airbrakes by activating outwards.

So no fancy mixing etc. Model and full size are very stable but fly fast and are virtually stall proof because of the canard configuration.

Hope this helps.

Pete :lol::lol:

Thanks Pete will go with traditional setup for now and after a few flights add the independent rudder/air brakes.

Although I must admit I can see my model falling out of the sky as the air brakes are deployed.... will test them at some high to see effect.

The first flight on Sunday was well a big disappointment after a few false starts because of engine trouble. When I finally got on to the strip the plane would not get up to speed and realizing i was running out of space cut the throttle and did a left turn into a hole in the filed and crunch canard broken.

Oh well the life of a model flyer is never dull. But I will be back....Herr Clunk quote...Arni move over the terminator needs to make way for the repair-a-nator...

Thanks for your help Jimbo..I think your idea of a removable canard is a good idea. I will have to take a saw to the nose and a dermal to extract the canard and then repair and replace with a bolt down job. This will make future repairs easier.

Well this plane will be up and running by next Sunday. Lets hope the weather plays ball.

Her Klunk

I will be back

Andre,

Sorry to read that the flight was not totally successful on Sunday. The problem i see with this design is that reading all the bumf on the full size is that they need a fair lick of speed . This is OK on a tarmac runway. If you see these at Biggin Hill they really do accelerate. Course the problems we have is on grass strips the nose wheel always drags the speed down. I have a removable canard on mine. I can bring to club night if you are interesed including a pilots notes on flying full size.

Regards

peter

As the wind was so bad this weekend only did a taxi test. The bigger wheels work a treat along with the wider prop.

The plane gets up to speed 2/3 of the way down the runway and wants to lift the nose.

so I will have to wait for some better weather.

I wont hold my breath.

Well at last a good flight in fact three good flights apart from minor engine problems. The plane is very stable rolls very axial loops very well and stall is easy to recover and just drops the nose and canard with a slight loss of height.

It looks great in the sky and inverted flight was a just as easy.

The annoying bit was on the fourth flight the right side top covering ripped off in flight, and there was no indication of a problem during pre flight checks. Problem is obvious after looking at the wings. Cheap Chinese covering its crap. Well lost the covering after a shallow dive going into a loop and you heard the covering come of the top surface of the wing as it all yes all ripped off leaving a plane that was near impossible to control. Result landed in tree on approach to runway just could not get it to turn left as the right wing covering was gone on the top side of the wing.

After kind assistance from few people, thanks gents we retrieved the plane very damaged, but repairable accept the canopy.

Moral of the story remove all ARTF covering and recover. This is a pity as you loose all the decals etc.

Anyway TOPPLANES will be getting a letter from me....I am not happy.

Lesson learned, back to my own builds.

Her Clunk

Andre, Glad the plane flew but sorry to hear that the covering parted company and you had problems. Trouble with these ready builts is you cant assume that they are perfect,not that I do with my own builds but if anything happens at least I can blame the person when I look in the mirror. I am looking forward to flying my 1/4 scale but have a feeilng with a super tigre 60 may be underpowered. I hope to do some taxi attempts on the lawn if the weather is good this week and bring to the field on Sunday. CAN I REMIND EVERYONE THAT IT IS A BBQ AND COMP WITH CATERHAM AND ANY OTHERS THAT TURN UP. LOTS OF PRIZES FOR FUN FLY AND SCALE LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING A BIG CROWD

PETER

• 3 weeks later...

Well after a long rebuild I have my plane back and hat four great flights this short Sunday. and the plane fly's very well. The C of G is spot on per the plan and it glides in to a gentle touch down with very little input on the elevator just cut the throttle on the last corner on approach and let it sink in. What a winner looks good with a pilot now as well.

Her Klunk