This is a snapshot of the forum as it was on Thursday 2nd Dec 2021. Not everything will work.
It is not possible to login, edit or make any changes and is provided for prosterity for those who wish to view the old content.
C.A.M.F.C - Members & Visitors area

Auster AOP9

Found myself drawn to a 1/4 scale Airsail Auster kit being sold after being donated to a Childrens Hospice

I must admit at first I though it was 6ft span one, only later realised it was the 10ft span one :shock:

Oh well, I have an MVVS 26cc petrol motor going unused at the mo.

But as it took me 18months to build a Wot4, don't expect to see it flying any time soon.

..%5C_pictures%5C10-rqaop9.jpg

Any one have any ideas for interesting scale colour schemes?

Well they "were" all Military (until demobbed) as they were used for Air Observation aircraft hence the designation so I guess a camouflage version would be the correct choice, unless you fancy a civilian repainted one.

Lots of photos around on the Net for them, and quite a few in the museums and a lot still flying, see link

http://www.abpic.co.uk/search.php?q=Aus ... OP9&u=type

Funny enough I remember seeing one parked UNDER the wing of one of the Storch's at Duxford a few years ago when I was getting photos for my own Storch so it looked quite diminutive alongside it.

I actually quite like the look of the white one (ala Airsail pic above), but I guess a cammo version is what is to be expected.

I'm thinking with all that glass I'm going to have to do a half decent job on the cockpit :oops: so a visit to Duxford with my camera might be in order

Well I "assume" the Auster is still there, but didn't see it on my last visit to Duxford, but then I wasn't looking for it, and they have re-arranged the exhibits with a new hanger to play with. The Army Air Corps have one in their historic display team I think.

I've flown in one very many many years ago as a passenger, it was very drafty to say the least and rattled like a tin can, and I didn't feel at all safe, probably because of all the perspex around. Good vision all round though :!::D