This is a snapshot of the forum as it was on Thursday 2nd Dec 2021. Not everything will work.
It is not possible to login, edit or make any changes and is provided for prosterity for those who wish to view the old content.
C.A.M.F.C - Members & Visitors area

TARANIS TERRORS - WHAT A LOAD OF (GOLF) BALLS

I read on EVERY R/C forum that the TARANIS was a nightmare to setup, but, having set one up (ish) in ONE night, I just don't see what the fuss is about. Maybe most 12 year olds don't set them up ( "the computer generation" ), or the new TARANIS plus is just better. I spoke to an anonymous member (Rod) and he too said that he struggled and had to ask another anonymous member (Emay) for help. I hope somebody replies and tells me what all the fuss is about, or I will have to shut up and deal with the debate at the field. The only thing I found is that care MUST be taken, or, in my case, you will click the center beep on, and will spend hours figuring it out. By the way, check out last, last months RCM&E for TWO articles on TARANIS. One forum member even wrote: "SOS, how do I put battery in and shut cover".

I do hope someone can shed some light on this confusing issue,

Ben :roll:

• Club Members

I read on EVERY R/C forum that the TARANIS was a nightmare to setup

Then you are associating with the wrong crowd, escape now before they corrupt you.

but, having set one up (ish) in ONE night

OK, we'll try to take into account you are a bit slow in future...................

or the new TARANIS plus is just better

The Plus only really adds Haptic, and that isn't much good really without mods (when it becomes annoying!), programming is all the same.

Trevor, The Taranis is a great radio at a super price and WHEN you buy one I'd be quite happy for you to come round one evening and I'll run through the basics to get you started off well.

Now you've done it. I was considering buying a Taranis but now the pressure is too great. if I buy one and have trouble understanding it i will look a complete idiot :):)

Trevor, The TARANIS is the most amazing thing in the history of transmitters... The price makes it unique... GET ONE NOW!!!!

• Club Members

Ben, re: your strapline "Try to convince a 12 year old that flying R/C is cool... my friends aren't so convinced!"

I don't need to convince anyone from 11-17, the list of people wanting to join my school RC club year on year far exceeds the available numbers. From eight years direct experience the problem is that many parents/guardians will not give the time to take youths who ARE interested, as they don't see it as a sport in the same way as Rugby or Football (other boring ball games may also apply). Cost is also a factor which FRSky are doing their best to help!

I run a RC car building programme every year (before moving to flight), yet in ALL that time NOT ONE parent has got the slightest bit involved with their son's model, and only one mother and father have come to watch after it was built (even when they are coming to collect).

It's NOT a youth issue, its the Adults........................

• Club Members

Back to the Taranis, THIS is FRSky's own list of differences Taranis X9D to "Plus"

What is upgraded compared to the X9D

1. Noise reduction

2. Vibration alerts

3. 2 color backlit LCD selectable(blue&white,Orange&white)

4. Upgrade the firmware by using SD card directly,no need to install any driver

1. isn't worth anything, NO Tx goes above 82dB (JOKE, some Tx made a background noise on the speaker when the nice lady was telling you you'd just crashed. Mine didn't)

2. Nice Idea, but the first time it vibrates off the pit table, you won't still think so.

3. Cosmetics, cosmetics, cosmetics..............

4. OK, but no game changer

Listed not to belittle, but to indicate that the "Plus" is so minimally different its no "must have".

Obviously the "Horus" should be a different kettle of poisson, n'est pas?. (But the Taranis will be a hard act to follow)

Ben, re: your strapline "Try to convince a 12 year old that flying R/C is cool... my friends aren't so convinced!"

I don't need to convince anyone from 11-17, the list of people wanting to join my school RC club year on year far exceeds the available numbers. From eight years direct experience the problem is that many parents/guardians will not give the time to take youths who ARE interested, as they don't see it as a sport in the same way as Rugby or Football (other boring ball games may also apply). Cost is also a factor which FRSky are doing their best to help!

I run a RC car building programme every year (before moving to flight), yet in ALL that time NOT ONE parent has got the slightest bit involved with their son's model, and only one mother and father have come to watch after it was built (even when they are coming to collect).

It's NOT a youth issue, its the Adults........................

The problem is the price, most parents look at the hobby, see the prices and think that they would rather spend the money on boots so their children can stay fit, rather than playing with toys....

Hi Trev,

Seriously, if you are thinking of buying one, just do it. They are fantastic things and will help you get them most out of your plane. There are quite a few in the club that have TARANIS, ( Rod, Emay, Me, E.T. ) to name a few. Trust me, it is seriously underrated, and you will love it the second you touch the box. There are so many advantages that you will wish you had done it sooner, and will try to persuade everyone to get one.

Just do it.....

Ben

• Club Members

Taranis plus: wasn't one of the other (similarly minor) changes that it included as standard the improved knobs/sliders (rather than people having to pay a few pounds to upgrade)?

One question I have to the Taranis users: do you use the supplied mains charger to charge the Tx battery in place? Or do you remove it and charge outside the Tx? (The plug looks the same as that for 2s Lipo balance lead, so making up an adapter should not be hard.)

On the subject of getting younger people involved in RC flying, I think cost is probably a very big factor, as well as transport (it's not easy to get to club fields without a car). It's not a cheap hobby even as an adult, and even with equipment being so much less expensive now, and was certainly beyond me as a child. I would have loved to do it when I was 12, but could not afford to do so (so build stick and tissue models instead, and some indoor electric round the pole in the school hall). The thing about it being "a boy's dream, but a man's hobby" certainly held true for me (gender stereotyping aside).

• Club Members

Taranis plus: wasn't one of the other (similarly minor) changes that it included as standard the improved knobs/sliders (rather than people having to pay a few pounds to upgrade)?

One question I have to the Taranis users: do you use the supplied mains charger to charge the Tx battery in place? Or do you remove it and charge outside the Tx? (The plug looks the same as that for 2s Lipo balance lead, so making up an adapter should not be hard.)

On the subject of getting younger people involved in RC flying, I think cost is probably a very big factor, as well as transport (it's not easy to get to club fields without a car). It's not a cheap hobby even as an adult, and even with equipment being so much less expensive now, and was certainly beyond me as a child. I would have loved to do it when I was 12, but could not afford to do so (so build stick and tissue models instead, and some indoor electric round the pole in the school hall). The thing about it being "a boy's dream, but a man's hobby" certainly held true for me (gender stereotyping aside).

• Club Members

NO, incorrect, those improvements were applied to the "std" Taranis from Batch 2 onwards well before the "Plus". It was why I stalled purchase and mine came with them.

It is not a mains charger, its a mains power supply, the charger is 12v and internal. I have the larger capacity NIMH battery and upgraded internal charger board. I cannot see nor have experienced any need to external charge, why would you need to??

And the pin layout of the plug is not as per a balance lead, yes, you could easily make, and then you will have a unit that risks LiPo safety if picked upo and used by mistake.

I always use the mains power supply to charge, can't be bothered to take the battery out and why anyway.

For some time after Taranis was in use at the field several of the instructors debated for some time if this was the Tx to recommend to new members we were training. In the end the view taken by most is that if the new member is serious

about the sport then Taranis is the way to go, if not then go for a cheaper entry level radio. How much this saves in the end is debatable.

Rod

• Club Members

Drifting slightly off topic (Sorry, Ben)..

I have just got hold of a known good s/h DX9 for a great price, so it joins a Taranis and a Futaba 10CG in front line service, so I'm dealing with broadly comparable sets. Ignoring the who has the most robust link matter, I'm quite impressed with the DX9 (yes I actually said it!!)

Why bother with a DX9 as well?, because I have lots of BNFs and the two DX6i's and two DX7s that over time and a combination of bequeaths and good bargaining on buying models had gained are going to be passed on, two donated into my school club along with a MSR, MSRX, mCPX, etc, one to my loyal 6th form helper (along with a Plane and a Heli), and one DX7 probably will be sold.

Why not use a Spektrum module in the Taranis? Because it already has a Futaba FASST module fitted.

Why not buy another Taranis? 'cos I'm waiting for the Horus!

Just bear in mind that from next year EURO regs change again, and any new Tx purchased then must ONLY work with EURO firmware/software. Currently you can buy a new Taranis which has EURO firmware, but you can backtrack it to be world standard and so not Listen Before Transmit (LBT) Euro standard, the legal standard NOW for new sales.

Is this an issue? Well it might be if you have D series Rx's, etc, which have no updated firmware available and cannot talk to a LBT equipped Tx.