This is a snapshot of the forum as it was on Thursday 2nd Dec 2021. Not everything will work.
It is not possible to login, edit or make any changes and is provided for prosterity for those who wish to view the old content.
C.A.M.F.C - Members & Visitors area

Spektrum DX8 Charging problem - Need help

• Administrators

Hi Guys

Do any of you DX8 owners live near West Wickham and have a BX8 charger I could text on my radio for a few minutes?

With mine, when I plugin the charger, it doesnt always start charging, I seem to have to wiggle the charge lead in the socket for it to light up and start charging, but dont know if its that charger or the radio thats causing it.

I just took the radio apart to see if there was anything obvious wrong inside, but everything inside seems rock solid, so am hoping its just a bit of corrosion inside the charge lead thats causing the problem..

I can tell immediately if its working or not, so just a minute is all I need, to use your charger on my radio and my charger on your radio to nail down what item is causing the problem..

Thanks guys :D

• Club Members

I don't have a DX8, but if it's a coaxial plug then in my experience it's usually the socket that fails. Certainly, if wiggling the plug body seems to work then I'd suspect the socket first - if wiggling the plug body doesn't help but wiggling the cable does, then it might be that the wire has broken off at the solder joint (which can happen if the wire is jerked sideways and the strain relief can't cope).

What is the arrangement of a DX8 charging socket? The Futaba Txs I've seen have a simple charging arrangement where the charge socket is directly connected to the battery when the power switch is off (possibly with a series diode on some models), and the power brick is a simple constant current source. With these, you can charge from a normal RC multi-charger with the right charge lead (though sometimes the series diode can cause problems on a smarter charger), and I can lend you a suitable multi-charging harness. On the other hand, if the charge control circuitry is in the Tx (as it is for Taranis, I believe) then a different power brick of the appropriate voltage should work.

I can't help with the specific query as the only Spektrum Tx I have is a DX6i, which just takes 4x AA cells and doesn't support charging them in situ.

• Club Members

The DX8 uses a 12V power supply and the charge control circuitry is within the Tx. Sorry Richard, I am out of circulation at the moment so can't help with the charger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Club Members

As Gerard says you can plug it into a 12v battery if you have a suitable lead. Alternatively take the battery out and charge it, that's what i do

• Administrators

Thanks anyway guys.. I don't have a suitable lead. I'll bring it with me to Club-night, incase any of you guys are coming and might have a DX8 charger you can bring to try it..

• Administrators

Good news...

Rang up Horizon on Wed at 4pm, and for £7, they sent me a brand new power supply which arrived Thursday morning, and all is now working great.

Very impressed with Horizon..

They told me if it doesn't sort it, I can send the PSU back for a refund with the radio and they would most likely fix it for either nothing, or £10 to £15 if it came to it..

Happy days :-)

• Club Members

My experience is they fix for nothing you just pay postage to them. They are good like that. I had a pair of new sticks like that when they broke, outside warranty too

sent from my phone