This is a snapshot of the forum as it was on Thursday 2nd Dec 2021. Not everything will work.
It is not possible to login, edit or make any changes and is provided for prosterity for those who wish to view the old content.
C.A.M.F.C - Members & Visitors area

For all you, Wot 4 lovers!

The other problem I have with it is that the wot 4 is THE tough easy reliable aerobat, flyable in all weather, easy to build and repair. So by lightening it's they've just made it not a wot 4 :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

That being said, it does look good, but you seem to be paying more for less!!! Like the Lamborghini gallardo; its £190,000 for the regular, but £210,000 for the super light version!!! Back to the plane, I get that it's lightened, but does it really need holes in the uc and holes in the tail? It's more fragile than a mini hype!

But I still love it and really want one :D

Thoughts? :wink:

I know that they reduced weight but surely a .39 won't get it THAT far, bearing in mind it's at the bottom of the range of the regular one.

I could be wrong however, it might be a pleasant surprise, would like to see how it'd compare with something like a .52 on a regular one :P

The Irvine 39 is the best fun fly engine by a mile, very light and small and extremely powerful. It will take my Fusion almost out of sight in 20 seconds! I didn't think they still made it, but glad to see it's still around. In my opinion no other make of engine comes close for smoothness, power and rev-ability. More than enough power for any wot 4 :D

James.

I agree the 39 is a brilliant engine! Rod had one in one of his planes and it was quick to respond and reliable. How much did they cost? I ask because the only engine I've seen to come close is the OS35 MAX AX, one of which I own and is in the front of the cougar, but then again it's £130 which is a ton for a small engine :roll:

That being said it's one of the only engines that I've used that has the precise feel of a leccy motor! I also like the refined feel of it and just how quality it feels!

OS used to make a "blue series" engine, and I'm on the lookout for a 46 version as it looks epic but is super rare :mrgreen:

Anyway I'll post some pics of the funfly

B :wink:

Last time I looked the Irvine 39 was about £80, but most places are out of stock. I think Ripmax must have a stock of them to get rid of which is why they are selling them with the Wot 4.

The only blue series of os engines i can think of are the old LA Series, which were very common a few years ago. A very good engine, but basic with plain bearings etc. A 46 should be quite easy to find though I would have thought. I still really like os engines, but as you say they are pricey. Their new 2 strokes are still great but the new 4 strokes have had a few issues. Old os 4 strokes however are the best - my old os 90 4 stroke in my flybaby is now 32 years old and the only parts that i have replaced are the bearings a couple of times, that's all and its done hundreds of flights and been in constant use, mostly in that model all that time and it still starts first flick every time - brilliant engine!

• Club Members
funflyjames said:
Last time I looked the Irvine 39 was about £80, but most places are out of stock. I think Ripmax must have a stock of them to get rid of which is why they are selling them with the Wot 4.

Is it the 39 or the 36 that they're selling with the WOT4? When the guy from Ripmax gave a talk at a club night a couple of years ago he gave the impression that they had loads of Irvine 36s, which is why at that time they were doing a giveaway bundle price for the engine with their Jive funfly ARTF. I think these were still the UK-manufactured 36s, too.

I know that it says 39 on those pages, but I just wonder if wires have got crossed somewhere. Or maybe the "39 Special Edition" is some modification of a 36!

As far as I'm aware, the 39 and 53 are both pretty much impossible to get other than second-hand, and even there people hang on to them. The odd unused one might pop up from time to time, but that's it. Certainly when the Ripmax guy was asked about the 53 he said that Ripmax have no stock and none were being manufactured as they hadn't worked out a way to do so cost-effectively. The last generation of the 46 and 53 had been manufactured by O.S., but that deal had finished.

Martin

• Club Members

Its a 39 Martin.

Speaking of wot-4,s, I have some more "hot" news!

I spoke with the designer Chris Foss at the Crawley indoors yesterday, and he was telling me about a new 1/2 size Wot-4 he is working on at the moment. Designed to be also used indoors, the new model is a 1/2 size "woodie" of the original design, and can be also flown outdoors.

I can't wait to get one of these :-)

TTFn,

Oily

• Club Members

Well, I very briefly got interested, then saw the pics, firstly those surface areas are still WAY too small to gain my interest, secondly (and actually more worryingly), the engine does not look like my existing 39. I agree the "old" 39 is a superb engine, has a reliable idle that's super slow, yet decent power (on 20%) and a wonderfully progressive throttle.

Bottom line is that I have to bite the bullet of replacing my Cougar airframe before it gets too soggy and all the film falls off, and that's not long off.

Don't suggest an Evolution, as I have no interest or time to build one. Really don't want another Cougar either, I hate the scheme, the too small Fus section, the desperately off biased rudder, but this Wot is not looking good as a replacement (at any money let alone £200).

I need a modern slant on the Hangar Nine "Tango", now THAT was one nervous, fast reacting lunatic plane, super stuff with a 52 2St. (Looked awful, but don't really care about looks). I had two. H9 "Twist" came close, not as well made though being Vietnamese not Chinese.