This is a snapshot of the forum as it was on Thursday 2nd Dec 2021. Not everything will work.
It is not possible to login, edit or make any changes and is provided for prosterity for those who wish to view the old content.
C.A.M.F.C - Members & Visitors area

Tidy Fuelling

Rich

• Administrators

Hey guys....

I lost the bung on my fuel line from the refuelling tube to the tank on the plane, so while searching for a new one, I found this...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 2759.l1259

(If reading this after auction closes, its a 6mm fuel line coupler)

Question is, would a nitro fuel line fit on it, and would it work?

This way I can refuel safely, spill nothing, and not get my hands covered in fuel at every refill....

You probably could use these, but I probably wouldnt bother..

First of all, the internal bore of out fuel tube is typicall 3-4mm, so it'd be a push to get it on.

Secondly, I've tried many different fuel gadgets over my years of modelling, and what Ive decided is this. The more there is in between the fuel tank and carb, the less reliable your motor runs.

These days, I have a piece of tube, and thats it. I use a fuel filter sometimes, but more often than not, I put a filter in the filling line, so the fuel is filtered before it gets into the tank.

Having said all that, if you want to give them a go, why not? Probably best to ask the manufactureres if the materials are ok with mathanol based fuels. When we swop between petrol and glow fules in models, we have to use different fuel tube and bungs for the fuel tanks, so it may not be a direct swap.

Jim

Ifg you want it tidy and not get messy and have a filter you have a choice of two fuel valves specially made for models either a Dubro or Thunder Tiger will be great . I use on all my models and the valve comes with a nice attachment for your tube from the fuel and locks into the nvalve,as they have acut off to the carb whilst filling you get no carb flooding. I know Sussex Model Centre stock these at about £6.00 each

• Club Members

Richard,

The photo doesn't really make it clear how the valve works.

Beside the valve is a filler nozzle which you fit to the end of your fuelling line from the flight box. The valve in the photo is actually standing on the fuel inlet that you stick the nozzle into. Once the nozzle is in place in the valve it shuts off the feed to the carb with the result that the fuel flows or can be extracted from the tank. Once the filler nozzle is removed from the valve the feed to the carb is automatically reopened and fuel flows from the tank through the valve to the carb.

Its a neat arrangement. It also means you only need two lines from the tank as the fuel feed line is now also the tank filler line.

• Administrators

ahh, no, I was looking for a tidy wat physically connect the flightbox to the plane, kind of like in the formula 1 way almost, but small scale...

Refuelling, without spillages and getting it all over my hands

That is what this is Richard.

Gerard has explained it pretty well. The round part connects between the fuel tank and the carburettor.

When you put the nozzle in from your flight box, it dissconnects the route to the carb, and the fuelling nozzle is now connected to the fuel tank instead.

These fuellers do work well when new, but in my experience must be kept clean. They can start to leak or get stuck open once the o-ring is a little worn, which lets air into the carb leading to bad running.

I can bring one for you to look at Tuesday it you wish.

Jim

• Administrators

Hi Jim

Thanks mate, I'll do my best to get over there, but it will be later in the day as I still havent fixed my plane yet...

Awaiting undercarraige still, and need to figure how to attach tailwheel so that the rubber can steer it as the elavator horn (wow, gettin the lingo) is in the way...

So if I do get over there, it might not be until around 2pm+

As Jedi-Rambow said...just keep it sweet and simple.

One of my m8 jets when in "had a flame out" because he put as many fuel filter in as he could! Let's just say one of his filter came under done in flight = landing NOW!

O well, next time he will learn!

• Administrators

haaa, bummer...

Its not so much a filter I wanted, just a way to connect flightbox to plane, securely, without all the mess.... :shock:

I dont actually want anything between the tank and the engine at all.... Like you say, keep it simple..

Richard,

There is another way they can be used which will probably fulfill your needs:

If you run the filler pipe to the connection that would normally go to the tank, and block off the connection that would normally go to the carb, then you can use the valve simply for filling and draining. The way to block the unused connection is simply to put a piece of pipe on it, with a stopper in the end.

I have done this before, and it adds nothing into the carb line to get in the way of smooth operation.

Maybe this will help you?

Jim

• Administrators

That sounds like a plan.... :D

Will have to see it though, not sure what one of those valves looks like in the flesh... You are referring the the one gerard was mentioning?

haaa, bummer...

Its not so much a filter I wanted, just a way to connect flightbox to plane, securely, without all the mess.... :shock:

I dont actually want anything between the tank and the engine at all.... Like you say, keep it simple..

Sorry all I was saying is to keep it simple, them 3 way values don't always work and could course a fuel shortage to your engine.