This is a snapshot of the forum as it was on Thursday 2nd Dec 2021. Not everything will work.
It is not possible to login, edit or make any changes and is provided for prosterity for those who wish to view the old content.
C.A.M.F.C - Members & Visitors area

New Toy: SebArt Sukhoi 50E

I had a Seb Katana 30e many moons ago.............I also had the 1.20 version too and the Seb Suk 1.40 (well I had about 3 of those).

The only thing I will say is don't break the U/C there a pain to fix.

Very nice the Sebart stuff is! I saw the new Sebart PC-21 fly a few weeks ago :D. I've also had a few of there kits, as well!

LOL they are all so doing a water plane thing as well :? I forget what it is, but I can't see where they are going with that!

The only problem with any of the SebArt kits is, the cost! In the last few year's I've seen them jump up in price, by like 20 / 30%! Which I'm sure is putting alot of people off buying them :(

I my still have some new prop's let from my Angle 50 / Pits Python, if you don't have any atm!

Cheers Steve, I've got a Xoar 16x10e and Graupner Elektro 16x10 to test.

May give you a shout as always good to check out other props - especially as have a data logging Casle ICE ESC that can show graphs on my laptop so will be able to at least tell the difference even if doesn't help my flying! :D

• 2 weeks later...

So... good news and bad news. The maiden went well - perfectly happy in rolls/loops/stall turns and unlimited vertical. Controls extremely jumpy even on recommended settings/expo so tuned them down, but...

Second flight not so good - as I made the turn onto finals I over banked and over applied rudder which at the low airspeed appeared to send the model into a spin/spiral dive. Anyway, ran out of sky but managed to get her level for a pancake-ish landing.

Damaged is somewhere between superficial and annoying. Undercarriage box needs some repair work, one panel will need re-covering and a new cowl to be ordered as it got cracked (still serviceable but would look v tatty). Wings/tail feathers survived unscathed. Lucky I have time off work to fix :)

Overall, very impressed with the model and hopefully this is a minor hitch in a long flying career for it :plane:

• Club Members

Fully realise that for this plane this is stable door, horse, bolted, but every year a large number of planes are lost to the downwind turn over application of 3D surfaces while flying slowly.

While nobody can mitigate the ultimate effect, you can "train yourself" out of reaching the onset of the problem with something much less expensive and fragile.

I tend to fly planes set up very nervously, as many know. As one example, my Combat Fire-Fly has a combination of elevon movement that gets the surfaces to nearly 90 degrees. This is wanted, as while Deltas are traditionally difficult to stall, I can easily stall mine when needed, it's like throwing out sky hooks, and nothing fixed wing flies on unaffected when its stationary! I'm therefore used to exploring the extreme slow end of flight envelopes. I made it happen, and forced myself to deal with it.

One thing you could do at nil cost is to weight up your oldest battleaxe well used 3D foamie to increase the wing loading markedly, get the absolute max throws you can out of it, even by fitting longer servo horns and drilling holes in the surface horns closer to the surface, and go out and punish it.........repeatedly!! Basically, make it fly like a sick pig and deal with it!!

Way back when learning I bought a grotty tired out underpowered 19 "powered" balsa fus and foam wing scale Cessna and did nothing other than circuits and touch and gos, in all conditions, howling wind, swirling breezes, in all states of trim...........it was a standing joke in my then club that it never got more than 50' up!

Has to be said, landing a trainer which requires flying akin to a real plane at excessive speed "because its hot" is a clear indication that you (and you are by no means alone) need more time with the lower speed but non-3D end of the flight envelope specifically for landing circuits.

ONLY by pushing that boundary will you get the experience to slow planes down near their limits in varying conditions with confidence.

Looked at from another perspective, and as you and Sam rightly said, the ultra light 3D generation of planes that inherently can have liberties taken without the consequent punishment have a lot to answer for!!

Thanks Dave - that's all good advice as always, and very much appreciated your help at the field yesterday.

It is worth noting that my control surfaces were all set to 20 deg deflection which are the "aerobatic" rates per the manual... I hate to think what would have happened if I had take "3D" deflections of 60 deg!!

Anyway, as you say - it is done - and I put it squarely down to my own error... the main thing is to learn from it and try not to do the same thing twice :)

Cheers.