This is a snapshot of the forum as it was on Thursday 2nd Dec 2021. Not everything will work.
It is not possible to login, edit or make any changes and is provided for prosterity for those who wish to view the old content.
C.A.M.F.C - Members & Visitors area

Add-ons for Flight Simulator X

I recently got myself a copy of Microsoft Flight Simulator X and a decent joystick. I hear there are some good add-ons for it but there is a lot to choose from and some aren't cheap! Any recommendations?

I'm especially interested in anything that adds decent new aeroplanes or gives me very high-resolution graphics of London so that I can fly over my house :)

Cheers

• Club Members

As I said at the field, I stuck with FS2004 as "X" offered little extra, and I had loads of add ons, for example all the UK Airports and all the UK photorealistic scenery, which amounted to from memory 12 purchases, plus various others like Flying Club (Super detail Shoreham, etc). Some had already been upgraded from FS2002 so I didn't think there was much chance of a "X" version, so have never looked. FS2004 is still heavily supported by Freeware sites

Can't help with "X" add -ons, but do inform if you do get any!

• Administrators

What spec PC you running flight sim X on Arun?

I have it on mine too, but am finding it seems to grind to a halt and take forever to load up....

I have a twin i7 quad core setup with 8GB ram and RAID0 across 2 1TB drives and 1.5GB ATI graphics, yet it runs like a pig...

• Administrators
You want to get it looked at by a professional Richard...

I know, these compbupa thingies are a mystery to me... lol :lol:

Takes about 20 seconds to start after I choose a plane and hit "Free Flight" with all setting at max - fast enough for me given what is has to do to get the simulation loaded, and that once loaded I fly for a lot longer than I wait for it to load :)

Intel i7-2600, 8-cores @ 3.40Ghz, 8Gb RAM, Gainward Phantom Gefore GTX 570 1.3Gb

• 2 months later...
  • Administrators

Hiya Arun

Have finally sorted out my flight sim x, and ended up building a new pc to run it all in the end...

My old graphics card struggled to cope, despite the pc having loads of grunt.

Bought a new graphics card, it is so big it wouldn't fit in my dell, so just wound up building a new pc instead, with triple screen gaming...

Oh, have you seen the saitek pro flight kit? Pretty good stuff, and totally changes the sim :-)

This changes the graphics beyond all belief and amazing weather:

http://www.realenvironmentxtreme.com/

Ditto for ground textures:

http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=gexeurope

And then you need a Spitfire:

http://www.realairsimulations.com/spit0 ... it08_intro

I've tweaked my setup heavily, but it flies (haha) along on my super-computer without breaking a sweat :)

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

Ah haaa...

I ditched the Dell XPS 8100 I was trying to run it on and built a monster, using 2 SSD drives in RAID0, with an ATI 6990, and it now fly's along (Excuse the pun)

Can make you feel a bit dizzy though flying a jet out of london city airport doing aerobatics @ 500ft when you use 3 screens, as the feeling of actual movement is uncanny...

I was thinking of getting the PMDG 737NGX for mine next...

I've added almost the entire Saitek pro-flight range, and it really really changes things dramatically, makes it soooo much more enjoyable to use, but I did have to add 14 USB ports to run it all :shock:

• 1 year later...
  • Administrators

Hey Arun

So, haven't been up the field for ages, after getting the NGX and making a few tweaks to my flight sim setup, here is why I haven't been at the club in ages..

[attachment=1]1262919_10151913643942170_639326004_o.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=0]1277792_10151913645232170_34940458_o.jpg[/attachment]

Got rid of the office desks, replaced them with an Obutto R3Volution and all flight sim hardware from GoFlight and have been learning the Boeing 737 NGX for about a year so far, in my spare time. Incredibly addictive...

Got the performance nailed down now with 2 PC's running the flight sim and god knows how many addons on top of FSX itself..

My sim setup has changed massively since Chris last popped round and had a fly on it..

I joined a Virtual Airline too a few months ago and got onto their pilot training scheme which is really good too..

Have to admit I've probably not loaded up FS X since I last posted on this thread. Anyway, it certainly looks professional, but wouldn't it be cheaper to get a real one!? Admittedly, once you have a realistic cockpit setup like this ... presumably you need air hostesses too, I think I'm starting to see what's going on here!! :D

• Administrators

haaaaa, I wish... Sadly not mate.. If I had my own stewardess, I certainly wouldnt have time for a flight sim :wink:

I'd love a real 737 Sim, but those are £40k to buy, almost ready to go, and are about 3 times the size of my dinky little setup..

I had tried FSX previously, but was totally unaware of the entire world of addons and hardware that was available for it, and it wasnt until you pointed out GEX/UTX that I looked them up and discovered an alladins cave of goodies...

Thus for me, FSX was reborn :shock:

Its pretty awesome to fly it too..