This is a snapshot of the forum as it was on Thursday 2nd Dec 2021. Not everything will work.
It is not possible to login, edit or make any changes and is provided for prosterity for those who wish to view the old content.
C.A.M.F.C - Members & Visitors area

DIY PSU - 575W for under £20

I can't take credit for this, it was Leon's post on another forum that rendered the info to do it, but since I had some time I built one and I thought it worth sharing as others may want to do the same. Basically you need an old DL380 PSU from eBay and a few components from Maplin to make a 47A/12V DC PSU. More info here, full disclaimers apply if you are going to do DIY electrics and entry forms for the Darwin Awards are readily available :)

[attachment=0]photo.jpg[/attachment]

Leon showed me some info this morning that lets you vary the voltage by putting a resistance across two of the pin outs. I have added chassis wires for this but don't have a resistor until the postman arrives. Anyway it easily goes to 13.8V although over-voltage protection cuts in at 13.82V so better to keep it a little lower I guess.

Hope this helps...

Edited by Guest
Anyway it easily goes to 13.8V although over-voltage protection cuts in at 3.82V so better to keep it a little lower I guess.

Hope this helps...

he ment 13.82V not 3.82V

BTW it only cost me £11 including the £4 postage for the PSW

Thanks Leon - corrected the post. Yeah, is worth pointing out that the PSU itself is only 50% of cost. You only need to spend the other 50% if you want a nice set of terminals... otherwise can just terminate on 12AWG wire and a Deans.

Thanks Leon - corrected the post. Yeah, is worth pointing out that the PSU itself is only 50% of cost. You only need to spend the other 50% if you want a nice set of terminals... otherwise can just terminate on 12AWG wire and a Deans.

What like I did :lol::lol::lol:

BTW I can't take credit for it either it was down to Simon Wood when I asked a question

http://www.highalpha.org/forum/viewtopi ... =7&t=11348

• 1 year later...

Another season, another mod... I noticed HobbyKing were doing a nice fused power strip - 2x40A (total draw) + 3x10A outputs assuming you can drive them, which the above PSU all but can. So now my 4 LiPo chargers can have the fleet ready to fly at about an hours notice :)

[attachment=1]photo 1.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=0]photo 2.JPG[/attachment]

• 3 weeks later...

And taking it to it's logical conclusion, I can now charge my entire battery stock for a day's flying in the space of a 1C charge. The four chargers running over the batteries you see at 1C only pull 16A. Don't forget the DIY PSU can dish out 47A at 12V, maybe I need more planes/batteries/chargers?

[attachment=0]ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21373140801.051921.jpg[/attachment]