This is a snapshot of the forum as it was on Thursday 2nd Dec 2021. Not everything will work.
It is not possible to login, edit or make any changes and is provided for prosterity for those who wish to view the old content.
C.A.M.F.C - Members & Visitors area

DLE 30 tuning problem ? - watch video

Hello!

As you may know I purchased this DLE30 second hand to fit in my mustang and after few flights notice that the engine at high rpm sounds a bit weird..

Nothing wrong with that but before I start messing around with it, wanted to ask if anybody can advise on this.

As is difficult to explain, I have made a small video with some low passes so you can hear it by yourself.

By the way, the plug is brand new and the engine generally speaking performs very well, solid idle and crips throttle response.

Suggestions ?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19160388/P51D%20Mustang%20engine.m4v

Edited by Guest

On the ground it seems to happen but not much. The engine sort of does that but in more irregular intervals.

I dont think is the ignition system or anything related with that otherwise it would happen at any given rpm, but again I have not much experience with these petrol engines...

I think most likely to be some tuning problem with the H needle... :roll:

Have you ruled out vibration - prop, mount, airframe? At high revs that is going to be at max ... And will be more audible in air than on ground.

Also, maybe as second hand you should check bearings and other mechanical parts for damage. I guess what I am suggesting is that maybe this isn't a tuning issue?

• 2 weeks later...

i had the same problem with a strimmer once, that turned put to be nackered crank bearings.

If i was you, i would strip the engine and replace all internal bearings as u dont want loose pieces of metal in the engine while its running.

I dunno if these engines are anything like strimmer engines, but thought id put this just incase its relevant.

• 3 weeks later...

I run 30:1 mix using Optifuel Premix oil as when I bought the engine second hand the previous owner used this since brand new.

Last time I flew the mustang, tried to tweak the High needle thinking about the same, and couldn't solve that raspy sound at high revs...

I still think is something to do with tuning the engine as don't thing bearings or vibration is an issue here but I could be wrong.

Will keep trying..

That's less oil than a 30:1 or a 50:1 mix ... less oil to spit :)

And that oil is what lubricates the engine....

I say stick to what the manufacturers reccomend, but that's safe old me :)