This is a snapshot of the forum as it was on Thursday 2nd Dec 2021. Not everything will work.
It is not possible to login, edit or make any changes and is provided for prosterity for those who wish to view the old content.
C.A.M.F.C - Members & Visitors area

White LEDs - How?

• Club Members

Ever wondered how the new bright WHITE LEDs exist when white light is an amalgam of more than one colour? :?:

Wondered how they are getting several shades of white inc the yellowed old school "candle tinge", etc? :?::?:

Had sleepless nights puzzling over it? :?

Here is the answer:-

White LEDs are actually emitting BLUE light, the final colour you see being created by that blue light passing through a fluorescent material in the envelope, usually phosphor. The amount of (yellow) phosphor doping determines the shade.

THERE, don't you feel better now?? :wink:

Well, you will when all those dazzlingly bright Citroens and BMWs start driving around with multi shaded aged out flourescent doping..... :twisted:

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

• Club Members

This is also the reason why a lot of LED lighting doesn't show up reds very well, since the light source is only really emitting blue and yellow. There are LEDs that do, but they're quite a lot more expensive and less energy efficient.

• Club Members
If only I'd known that before I went to bed last night... I wouldn't be so tired!

Kids keeping you up? All you have to do tonight is read them the above OP and by the third sentence they'll be sparko..............

If only I'd known that before I went to bed last night... I wouldn't be so tired!

Kids keeping you up? All you have to do tonight is read them the above OP and by the third sentence they'll be sparko..............

That and the chicken pox!