This is a snapshot of the forum as it was on Thursday 2nd Dec 2021. Not everything will work.
It is not possible to login, edit or make any changes and is provided for prosterity for those who wish to view the old content.
C.A.M.F.C - Members & Visitors area

covering help

hi all,

Needs some help, the covering on my hi-boy has badly loosened to the point of it receeding into the planes fuselage on 1 side and has also a fair amount of badly creased wrinkles.

All i have is a normal clothes iron and a hair dryer (that has 2 heat settings).

How do i sort the covering out, i want to sort this out before i take the plane for a flight next time its sunny and low wind.

• Club Members

Use the iron carefully to stick the covering down at the edges; dont get it too hot. If it wont stick you might have fuel in the wood. Use Meths to get rid of as much fuel as possible then use Balsaloc or similar to stick the covering down. A hair dryer is probably not hot enough to shrink the film, a hot air gun is better. If you dont have one, an iron can be used but be careful not to get it too hot else it will melt the covering too much or even puncture it. Stick the covering down at the edges then shrink it in the middle.

If the covering wont cover the fuselage properly you will have to cover it with a patch of spare covering or replace it altogether.

• Club Members

I have had some luck using a hairdryer set to maximum heat and minimum airflow, and holding it much closer to the covering than would normally be recommended (under half an inch away). However, as Trevor points out a proper hot air gun is much better. I only used a hairdryer once out of desperation.

Martin

ive just got hold of a brand new prolux covering iron that was free with a subscription of RCME magazine.

Anyone use this iron and if so, whats it like :)

I'm sure there is an amazing iron out there with immaculate balance, feather-like weight and zero friction ... but ultimately, as long as it heats up evenly and holds its temperature to within a 5-10 degrees C it'll be fine! I think that the one you have has a digital temp gauge which would be handy as you can set it to whatever the film manufacturer recommends for tacking or shrinking.

ive just used it to sort out the covering and i gotta say, its really easy to use, it made short work of 90% of the creases and as for the shrinking of the covering, that was a breeze and its the first covering that ive ever done (well first as in ive only placed it on the plane with a clothes iron previously and didnt do it properly).