This is a snapshot of the forum as it was on Thursday 2nd Dec 2021. Not everything will work.
It is not possible to login, edit or make any changes and is provided for prosterity for those who wish to view the old content.
C.A.M.F.C - Members & Visitors area

.... and you call yourselves club mates

Well I've spent the whole evening in the garage, how can a few pieces of foam and some sticky tape take soooooo long?

The plane is a Weston Hype 3D running one of their own brushless setups on a 3s1p lipo. The only issue is th emotor mount, the mount seems to be refusing to stick to the depron - left it now and hope that by the morning it'll be dry.

Want to get running first thing as I'm off to visit my nephews tomorrow and want to take it with me. Oh and I'm going to have to tame the control surface throws - they're obsene :twisted::twisted:

I am presuming you are sticking the motor mount with some epoxy?

UHU POR works well with depron but it does not go solid as it dries to some sort of stretchy rubber.

I am presuming you are sticking the motor mount with some epoxy?

UHU POR works well with depron but it does not go solid as it dries to some sort of stretchy rubber.

I started with UHU POR but have now use epoxy and some tooth picks - you know, round peg into a square hole :x

But the good news, it flies, only one click of aileron trim and much fun.

Piccies later

• 3 weeks later...

Darren,

I picked up a copy of AMI today & there was a review of the Weston shockys (all of them), I now feel an urge coming on :shock: .

So tell me what do you think of the Hype ID, also what battery do you get in the deal & what is included in the £200 deal (if that is the deal you went for)?

No deal for me, I just bought the shocky and their motor/esc as I already had rx, micro servos etc.

I'm using FlightPower 3s1p 800's and the standard shock prop - the orange one it's probably 8x3 or similar.

Takes off vertical out your hand at about 3/4 throttle, prop hangs at about half throttle (if I was any good :? )

The undercarriage is a bit of a weak spot unless you fly and land on very smooth runway or can land at zero forward speed. Managed to rip it out and seriously weakened fuse on mine as the u/c leg caught in a minor divot on landing. Going to repair with some carbon tows and foam friendly cyno but will be forgetting the U/C

But that is the beauty of them, trash it and it's only a few quid to get a new airframe and a couple of hours to, ahem, build 8)

I've been flying these type of planes on Relfx XTR and been haveng a fun / great time!

Now I'm thinking of getting one to improve my flying skills, but the only problem I can see is how would they fly at our field!?

Its always / mosty going to be windy there, so how would slow-fly type planes fair in say 6mph winds!!

I know you can get all different type e.g bi-plane, outdoor etc. etc., but I wanted to know from people that have used them.......Or maybe I should just go out and by one and see for myself :lol:

Have alook at this mad a$$ flying :- "the first part"

http://www.slow-flyer.com/video/vpp-su_26mx.wmv

More can be found here :-

http://www.slow-flyer.com/videos.html

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"beep........beep.......beep......aircraft reversiving"

I think if the wind is low enough to fly a micro heli, then flying a shock should not pose a problem.

I have read the U/C on the Hype ID is a little weak, most people leave them off for outside use and only use them on the 3mm version of the kit for indoor flying.

Darren I am presuming you are using the 6mm version for outdoor use?

Yes it's the 6mm wing and next time I'll leave the UC in the box.

I think it'll handle reasonable summer winds OK, it's my 'take it on holiday' plane and I think it's perfect for that.

I am starting to think Shockys are not planes but mearly hoving machines after watching that video :D

Darren, Weston UK do a Depron superglue & Activator, I thought I would mention it as I recall you had sticky problems when building your craft.

• 8 months later...

Yer them Ikarus kit "e.g F3A " are selling like hot cakes at the shop I work at!

I myself, like the Yak 54, I may in the Summer get myself one :P Don't think I would buy one just yet, to use it say every 4 to 6 weeks when I go to an indoor flying thing!

Anyway see how the weather turns out!

On the other hand, I've had my eye on the Phase 3 Fidget for some time now. To replace my "or i should say the bosses" Mini depon Panic!

the fidgets a good plane and will take a bit of a thrashing, but a built up fus which can sometimes be worse

I've heard afew people putting added formers "sp" in the fus, as there are none inside towards the back end of the fus!

What make me want the Fidget is that, it more of a slow-fly type plane.........if you get what I mean, when its up Vs 2 or 3mm Depon crazy a$$ indoor type :?

I've had afew go's on one, and like it! But the one I used only had a 2S1P Li-Po so only just had the power to go vertical or something like that!