This is a snapshot of the forum as it was on Thursday 2nd Dec 2021. Not everything will work.
It is not possible to login, edit or make any changes and is provided for prosterity for those who wish to view the old content.
C.A.M.F.C - Members & Visitors area

Priming Four Strokes in Cowl

arun

Hoping someone experienced with 4-strokes can help here. It occurred to me last night that although the Saito 82 looks lovely inside the cowl of the AcroWot, but it is going to be a bit of a pain to prime. Since the engine is at back of engine deep inside the cowl it will be hard to cover with a finger to draw fuel through during priming.

So what is the normal approach with models setup like this - is it just a case of trying to get a finger inside the cowl, or do you just avoid priming and flick it over more etc. What are the tricks? Maybe you can close the needle valve all the way?

Same apparent problem applies on a Magnatilla I picked up cheaply on BMFA with a Saito 45 ...

[attachment=0]photo 2.JPG[/attachment]

Cheers

Arun

• Club Members

Well with the RC car engines we used to prime it by putting the finger over the exhaust and turning the engine over rather than the carb .. I presume that would work with 4 stroke engines too??

EDIT: With the throttle closed I might add :shock:

• Club Members

Well everyone's learning .. including me! :)

I believe the exhaust method uses the back pressure to force fuel into the carb rather than the "usual" (or unusual to me anyways :) ) way that seems to suck the fuel from the tank when you open the throttle and restrict the air intake.

The exhaust method works on ABC 2 stroke engines, I see no reason why it wouldn't work on a 4 stroke engine. Try it, you won't hurt the engine if it doesn't work for you.

Shane :plane:

• Club Members

The exhaust method works but I find that 4 strokes dont require priming as much as 2 strokes, they often start easily without, at least my saito and asp ones do

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk 2