This is a snapshot of the forum as it was on Thursday 2nd Dec 2021. Not everything will work.
It is not possible to login, edit or make any changes and is provided for prosterity for those who wish to view the old content.
C.A.M.F.C - Members & Visitors area

Looking ahead to a second model ..

• Club Members

As I'm very very very very bored at work I have been researching planes that are available that could be good as a second model. Online I have found this:

http://www.avicraft.co.uk/aircraft-artf ... a-10-.html

It's the Seagull Low Wing Trainer, very similar in setup and of a similar size to the Boomerang High wing trainer that I have at the moment. Would something like this be more beneficial perhaps compared to something like a Prangster or a WAT4 both being high wing models??

I've also wondered as the Low Wing Sport has its landing gear in the wings if I could perhaps modify it to fit retracts?? Food for thought ...

Shane :plane:

Personally I would recommend the Pulse XT 40 as a nice low wing trainer. Good wing area, bit of dihedral for some self-righting and very well made being H9. The Wot4 is also an excellent choice, don't be put off by the high-wing - it is an immense aerobatic machine with the right setup. Both those models are easily capable of the BMFA 'B' schedule which I personally think is a good check against a second model.

All that said, without knowing it, the Seagull model you linked appears to tick most of the same boxes and so given it is pretty cheap might be worth a shot. Just my opinion on retracts, but I'd leave those for another day as it will increase the wing loading both through the unit and the need to build some kind of stronger box structure in the wing. Increasing wing loading probably isn't ideal while you're still learning and also adds another failure point to deal with such as a one-wheel-down landing :)

• Club Members

Ahh .. not a model I had thought about. Although, the Pulse from a quick search doesn't seem to be very easy to get hold of. Looks like a lovely plane though .. More research required on that one I think.

The only reason I thought of the Seagull Low wing trainer is that it's sticking with what I'm used to so far, although I expect it's pretty much for muchness these days when it comes to trainers. I immediately liked the way the boomerang fly's .. very stable & predictable :D

Do retracts really add a lot of weight?? Not something I had thought about to be honest. The idea of retracts are somewhat of a novelty dream .. way ahead of myself I know but they look great. Also I heard of a company that have made some servo style retracts, all in one units rather than the traditional Air pressure style. I'm not that worried about having to modify/strengthen the wings, I'm good with wood but maybe your right in that it could make the plane a little more complicated & heavier than it needs to be, especially as a second trainer model.

So Arun what plane did you decide on for your second model??

So Arun what plane did you decide on for your second model??

Pulse XT 40 - I wouldn't recommend it if I hadn't tried it :) They are easy enough to get, but more expensive than Seagull - try here.

Do retracts really add a lot of weight??

A decent set of retracts such as the EFlite 40-size come in at 100g per leg, so I would say that is a reasonable amount of additional weight given it can't be moved around to help balance the 'plane. Maybe pneumatic retracts could be made a little lighter but not sure. I imagine they could be a lot of fun...

• Club Members
Pulse XT 40 - I wouldn't recommend it if I hadn't tried it :)

Sorry I didn't know you actually had one .. fair play to ya :D:D

It is a little bit more as you say, so what does it fly like?? It looks like its the type of model that's quite fast moving???

A decent set of retracts ... come in at 100g per leg ..

Wow that is quite a lot of weight, that's almost half the weight of a small glow engine in each wing without all the extra support that would need to go in! I don't think ill be trying that with a small trainer. 8)

The Pulse flies very well, I have nothing bad to say about it except that it is not the cheapest model on the market. That said with Hangar 9 you get well designed, proven models with decent linkages etc. I will PM you a scan of the review from RCM&E that will tell you all you need to know! Eventually I sold mine to Jonathan who I think had a similarly high opinion of it, but maybe he'll chip in.

One final thought about a second model -- it's better if you don't have to get a third in quick succession. I don't mean crashing. More that the second model should be able to take you way into the advanced flight envelope. The Pulse will definitely do that and others in the club have/do own them and will probably testify to it. The Seagull model may be cheaper, but will it still be fun in 6 months when you've progressed? If you practice at a high rate and fly regularly you'll advance very quickly! So I guess what I'm suggesting is that the cheapest isn't necessarily the best next model ...

There is a single user review of the Seagull low-winger trainer here. Looks like someone liked it, but one data point is not enough for me to form an opinion :)