This is a snapshot of the forum as it was on Thursday 2nd Dec 2021. Not everything will work.
It is not possible to login, edit or make any changes and is provided for prosterity for those who wish to view the old content.
C.A.M.F.C - Members & Visitors area

Wot4 Foam-E replacement motor shaft

• Club Members

I found this shaft which fits the standard Wot4 Foam-E motor. They are cheap but seem to be at least as good as the original. Only problem, it was in Hong Kong and postage costs more than the shaft but I needed some other stuff as well so that wasnt a problem.

I managed to replace my shaft which broke on landing. It took some hammering to extract the old one, after I had undone the grub screw at one end and pulled off the main body of the motor. A press of some sort would have been better but I dont have one. The new one went in with a bit of persuasion (hammer again), first making sure the ground flat in the shaft lined up with the grub screw. The new shaft is about 2mm longer than the old one but this doesnt make much difference.

I've used silver steel (a hardenable steel used to make cutting tools) to replace damaged shafts, cheaper than buying a proper shaft and accurate in diameter. Easiest place to look is ebay - unless your shaft has a groove for a circlip, in which case stick to the real thing.

When I snapped the shaft on mine, I sold the motor on eBay for £16.50 and bought an XYH35-36 900kv from GiantCod for £10 :) The latter is a perfect match for the model and easy to come by spares.

• 2 months later...
  • Club Members

I discovered I need a new motor shaft for the Wot 4 after my escapades in the Funly last week.

I found that Wheelspin supply them for a reasonable price and have ordered two to make the delivery charge more palatable.

http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/175434/

I must have got the last ones as they are reading out of stock at present. Worthwhile having as a reference for the future when back in stock.

• 10 months later...
  • Club Members
When I snapped the shaft on mine, I sold the motor on eBay for £16.50 and bought an XYH35-36 900kv from GiantCod for £10 :) The latter is a perfect match for the model and easy to come by spares.

I've bent the shaft on mine, and the old shaft doesn't want to come out. Quite a few of us had a go at moving the shaft at the field last week without luck. The next step is to try cutting off the bent bit with a Dremel and pushing the shaft out the other way. Before I get round to that, I've decided to buy a new motor to get the plane flying again (so I can faff with the old motor at leisure).

It seems to be hard to obtain the XYH motors at the moment - GiantShark list them all as "special order" (and don't list the 910kv one at all any more).

There are two motors at HobbyKing that seem to have specs close to the XYH one (the official motor doesn't list specs):

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=14847

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=18229

According to this thread:

http://www.rcmf.co.uk/4um/index.php/topic,51638.0.html

... the XYH motors are identical to the Turnigy ones (and a number of other brands).

Any comments/recommendations between these two motors? The Turnigy one is currently out of stock in UK and European warehouses, but available from International. The NTM one is available in the UK but is a bit more expensive (not to a significant degree, though) and not quite as close in specification (10 turns rather than 9, for example, though it claims the same 910kv).

I can currently order the Turnigy one for $15.99 as long as I don't close that tab!

Opinions? Anyone used these?

Thanks,

Martin

• Club Members

Martin,

The NTM one has a 4mm shaft diameter which means the original Wot4 prop and spinner will fit and also has a 37 amp max current which is more in line with the original motor. The Turnigy one has a 5mm shaft, which is bigger, and max current 25.5 amps which is lower than the original motor. so you would need to source another prop driver. Apart from that I think either motor would do the job but I would have thought the Turnigy one would need a bigger prop.

Trevor

Are you sure the motor shaft isn't being held in place by a circlip? It should be possible to pull the motor apart as per photo below with a small amount of force. Anyway, I've replaced the shaft tonight for you in my spare one... come and get it tomorrow if you need to fly urgently :)

ze6yzazu.jpg

vega3amy.jpg

• Club Members

I've removed the grub screw and the circlip. We all had a look at it at the field. The problem is that because the shaft is bent rather than broken it's catching on the bearing when we try to pull the case off. (The case will move 3-4mm then snag.) I could potentially just apply brute force, but risk damaging the bearings.