This is a snapshot of the forum as it was on Thursday 2nd Dec 2021. Not everything will work.
It is not possible to login, edit or make any changes and is provided for prosterity for those who wish to view the old content.
C.A.M.F.C - Members & Visitors area

Training at the Club

Being a new member I was wondering if we could set up something which will give is 'newbies' stick time with a suitable instructor? This is just an idea I would like to bounce (NOT literally) It would allow an orderly means of flying :twisted:

• Club Members

Usually if you turn up on a Sunday with good weather then there will be people willing to instruct, and hopefully a club trainer plane for a couple of early flights if you don't have your own yet.

If in doubt, just post in the Flying Diary in the members section and ask if there are likely to be any there. There will often already be a post about the day in question. It's always worth reading and/or posting in the Flying Diary if you're even thinking of going, as it serves as a useful reminder of the various exclusions on our use of the field (e.g. Airsoft, clay shoot). You can also subscribe to the forum to get an email every time someone posts in it.

Do remember though that the instructors are all volunteers, and probably went along to the field hoping to get at least a bit of their own flying in, so please be patient!

Martin

• Club Members

Hi Blacknight,

Having only very recently been taught to fly solo with one of the instructors I can with confidence say the training program at this club is very good. I had no experience at all with model aircraft and they went through all the steps and safety, teaching now only how to fly but also how to do it safely.

Your best bet is to come up to the Fickleshole site on a Sunday, there are several experienced & dedicated instructors, several club trainer planes all equipped with buddy box systems and weather permitting, they will have you in the air in no time at all. The important thing to remember is learning to fly properly is not as easy at it looks and does take time, so they do like to see some level of commitment.

Our Training Co-ordinator is Stephen Morfill, known as "Lofty" on the forums. If you have any questions about the clubs training he's often at the field on a Sunday or I would contact him directly either through the forums, emailing training@camfc.co.uk or calling 07941 298108 .. but not too late. :D

I wish you the very best with your training and hope to fly with you someday soon!

Shane :plane:

Just one thing to add to the already good advice. Time spent in the air is only a fraction of the learning process, there are lots of other techniques like visualisation that will help you cope with bad scenarios. But the best advice of all, is to get a simulator such as Phoenix and spend at least one hour a day on it as this will resolve most of the co-ordination issues before you even need to worry about breaking a real plane. That said, it is easy to learn bad habits too on a simulator, so make sure you couple it to the real world advice of your instructor.

Hi Neil

I am a little suprised at your comments as last weekend you came to the field and I was using the club trainer,until it crashed,

to give trainees flights. Trevor and I (subject to weather) both normaly bring club trainers to the field on Sundays, last weekend Trevor had a garage loan car so could not get the trainer in, and are happy to talk to you and give you some stick time.

Remember the last Sunday each month we don't fly till after 1400.

Hope to see you next Sunday and take it from there.

Rod

• Club Members

Ahh so your Neil. I remember you from Sunday. Sorry, it is sometimes a little hard to figure out who people are on forum usernames. I guess most of the stuff in our last posts you already knew about then!! :oops:

Yes that was very unfortunate, the trainer plane had a structural wing failure on the flight just before you were about to take the sticks. It's death looked completely unrecoverable and with all the experience in the world, the plane was going down and it was ceremoniously laid to rest, (burnt) on Tuesday. (It went up with some enthusiasm & vigor too I must say! :lol: )

Occasionally, that does happen but gladly from the short time I've been around/seen, not very often. Although I do understand your frustration because when I was literally just starting out like you are now, I was waiting for a flight on the clubs Prangster plane however, just before, another pilot flew it straight into the oak tree. The plane survived, but not to fly again that same day. Planes sometimes have their destiny with the ground, its part of the sport and to be honest it just encouraged me even more to get my own shiny brand new trainer plane, which I did, only a couple of weeks later.

Stick with it, come up on Sunday nice and early - as It's a normal Sunday this time I expect you'll find people at the field from about 10:30 onward - the weathers looking GREAT! Also there's going to be an exciting Funfly competition kicking off around 12-1pm for you to find out about ( :D Tangerines at the ready chaps :D) - so as Rod says, take it from there. I'm sure something will be sorted out!

Shane :plane:

Off topic - it would be good if everyone used their real names since is a club forum where members are known to each other in "real-life". That said, I understand not everyone wants to be publicly identified with flying toy planes ;)

Hi Neil

I am a little suprised at your comments as last weekend you came to the field and I was using the club trainer,until it crashed,

to give trainees flights. Trevor and I (subject to weather) both normaly bring club trainers to the field on Sundays, last weekend Trevor had a garage loan car so could not get the trainer in, and are happy to talk to you and give you some stick time.

Remember the last Sunday each month we don't fly till after 1400.

Hope to see you next Sunday and take it from there.

Rod

Hi Rod

I wasn't having a dig far from it it was just to make sure during training I don't impose on others as am very aware that I wil be taking up other people's time and expense

Thanks for the help with the flying lessons by the way it's all coming back nicely

Neil

• Club Members
Off topic - it would be good if everyone used their real names since is a club forum where members are known to each other in "real-life". That said, I understand not everyone wants to be publicly identified with flying toy planes ;)

If the Club Forum was Club Only, I would.............