This is a snapshot of the forum as it was on Thursday 2nd Dec 2021. Not everything will work.
It is not possible to login, edit or make any changes and is provided for prosterity for those who wish to view the old content.
C.A.M.F.C - Members & Visitors area

1/3 scale Bleriot XI

• Club Members

Don,

As usual you are making an excellent job. I was wondering what type of wood you are using for the longerons and cross pieces and how you slit them and shape them so neatly. Any tips you can give would be much appreciated

Looking forward to seeing more of this model and I hope you can give another talk at club night when it is finished.

Trevor Searle

Trevor

The wood is Cyparis, available in six foot lengths from Blackburn models.

I'll post details of the method when I've finished this morning's work - earning a living, some call it!

Thanks for your input!

Don

Trevor. I promised to post the methods I employ to fix the uprights and cross members of the Bleriot's fuselage.

I shall have to post more than one message because the system allows just three pictures per post - :? so bear with me!

No glue is used in the construction. (Refer to the photo numbers, will you, 'cos they come up in a funny order! Maybe the Admin Team can sort this out sometime).

58d85c79a8acc_componentparts.jpg.f80aedc494a53d0f7bbdb6d1ba1bbfe3.jpg

hole3.jpg.2f59278654b62cca590f08b9bf970a89.jpg

• 2 months later...

Here's progress to date.

The bulk (?) of the fuselage is completed all 7-1/2 feet of it!

It's had two coats of clear varnish over stained woodwork.

First pic - the tailpost has been fitted.

Second pic - Rigging completed.

Third pic - Typical of the dozens of studding fasteners

Fourth pic - Undercarriage top spar.

All has to be rubbed down and another coat of varnish applied!

That's all for now

HAPPY NEW YEAR

(Apparently I am still only allowed three pictures at a time so have run out of time!)

58d85c7a44538_riggingcomplete.jpg.4da2aff05f28dedfd2f209b4723c061d.jpg

58d85c7a43240_10BAstudding.jpg.f107f44b59be302c941235d1537142ee.jpg

58d85c7a42099_tailpostfitted.jpg.b135da8149131ac8f85f561adad6aee8.jpg

Don,

Looking good, just don't know where you find the time :?

Also, you make it look so easy - I'm sure plenty of practice is required with those joints.

New new year.

p.s.

Do you get an error/message with the 3 picture thing? I certainly can post as many as I like. I'm just off to see if it's anything to do with me being 'administrator'

Yep, it looks like everyone other than Gary & I were limited to 3. It can't be unlimited so I've set it to 12.

As for the picture order, I've found that as you add files it fills bottom up, i.e. add your last pic first and work to your first pic last - make sense :?:?

Finally, I've switched on the attachment posting control panel - supposed to make it easier to do attachments. Please let me know what you think (i'm yet to use it myself)

Thank you, Darren, for your rapid response. I'll give it a go sometime soon and let you know the result

Regards,

Don

EDITED:

I attached a picture which has gone missing!

I'll try it with this edit.

58d85c7a4d2e9_riggingcomplete.jpg.151a4bdda6f3dc2b38bc6d98a6fe1363.jpg

Thanks, Peter. Thought you might like to see how I spent my New Years Eve afternoon!

First I resolved the problem of joining the two sections of fuselage together at the field. (The plane is 8'-4" long now that the rudder in added!)

The full size A/C is also in two sections so I copied the method of using four square section tubes to support the longerons. It's all held together with 18g. rigging wires and turnbuckles.

The other thing I completed today was to design and build the rudder. Micks drawings are accurate in outline but I have access to copies of M.Bleriot's original drawings so went the scale route. The hinges are an arrangement of interlocking tubes and spacers. This is your only chance to see the construction 'cos I'm covering it tomorrow!

longer.jpg.4f7ecf2ac6bef3bb0d21f70ca9c25b8b.jpg

hinge.jpg.719f0c47eef2eb721c5d6929524453d9.jpg

rudder.jpg.556e302ecfe6004b845a8368edf61b96.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Don

What a great project, I have a similar small 36" span electric project on the go but is semi scale a Howard Wright mono plane. You pictures have inspired me to get on with mine which is small fry compared to your excellent work.

What engine are you going to use a nice radial.

Keep up the excellent work.

Mine Herr

This may interest you! One I did earlier. From David Boddington drawings with a PAW diesel in it. Never flew - couldn't get the engine to go! Considering converting to electric!

Regards,

Don

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Here's an update on the Bleriot build.

The standing rigging is complete and I've made a start on fitting out the fuel tank with it's various bits & pieces such as fill, vent, levels. and feed circuits. It will need two feeds each with it's own filter and on/off cocks.

The radio gear is in as are the control surface runs. These are from stranded stainless steel cable.

FL.jpg.e3f9d84f9c14a3b8afae8fa6889c4fbf.jpg

RR.jpg.92e8f5b9c33ef49d87338ea2f57aad2a.jpg

58d85c7b71d74_COCKYSOD.jpg.63b5ef78b2fc4854ad9cdd0080aba9a8.jpg

tankstart.jpg.869d4c94f501ce8ca56def9d23435c68.jpg