This is a snapshot of the forum as it was on Thursday 2nd Dec 2021. Not everything will work.
It is not possible to login, edit or make any changes and is provided for prosterity for those who wish to view the old content.
C.A.M.F.C - Members & Visitors area

Advanced Scale Models Pitts

:D:D:D but this Sunday looks sweet ........

Couldn't decide what to do about the needle valve extension, so just cut a hole on the top of the cowl.

So, it should be ready for engine runs and who knows what might happen

:D:D:D:D

and time to draw this thread to an end.

The weather was good and no excuse for putting it off any longer. Until I arrived at the field, the OS hadn't seen a drop of fuel so we'd have to see how it goes.

I should have known better, a bit of fuel, needle valve open 2.5 turns as it says in the book and a reverse flick against the compression and it sprung into life. :lol:

Throttling and running didn't miss a beat and after 3/4 tank Jimbo and I agreed that it couldn't be put off any longer.

So after a quick refuel and waiting for an appropriate slot (Roger's ultimate and Steve's panic seemed right) we went for it.

Unsure of what the ground handling would be like I opened the throttle slowly and by half throttle and half the strip it was in the air :shock: OK, full throttle and a gentle climb out. It needed a click of left and a few of down. With the OS 120AX purring away a few slow handling circuits to build up confidence and check the stall it was going great.

A few practice approaches and it was time to land. Jimbo was saying "you'll need plenty of elevator on the flare to stop it nosing over" as it touched down and I didn't give it the elevator it needed. Oh well, I'll know for next time.

So in conclusion, the model goes together quickly, looks great and assembles into a very light Pitts. In the winter sun the Yellow and Black colour scheme really comes to life. The OS 120AX 2 stroke has bags of power, is really quiet and even in it's rich running in state does the job well. With a few more tanks of fuel through it I'm sure it'll get even better - I might have to go up from the 16x8 :shock:

PROS: I like the plastic bodywork, the OS120AX, it's looks and the final weight

CONS: Still not convinced about the interwing link horns and the pushrods provided by the kit (but I am very fussy about these and think that all kits should have fittings from Pete Tindal :wink: )

Thanks to Jimbo and Nutz for the pics

pitts29.jpg.46509e1d55f17131223bb9641582e3fa.jpg

pitts28.jpg.20b3a5225fb1ef4f69e5b1eb4e1d1f2e.jpg

pitts27.jpg.6793b04225991673b25a220c420d2b61.jpg

pitts26.jpg.c87e4f1aada4d17febfbc79b68af812e.jpg

pitts25.jpg.57d39eb0a2c1bf72516f7fd640dda25a.jpg

pitts24.jpg.fb4b23b36aa6867b77cc6cb0821b2118.jpg

pitts23.jpg.46a0a03eab0208cf7a64994648276ca6.jpg

pitts22.jpg.c49cbab893c76a7154f3ae2cc582952f.jpg

pitts21.jpg.deff47bb86d0ed806294fa4ae957a67d.jpg

Edited by Guest

I am glad the pictures came out OK and that you had a very nice & might I say impressive first flight.

I like the touch down pic, it clearly shows you need a bit more up elevator. As always the OS always provides more than enough power for the job.

Did you settle on the 90° exhaust converter and the PBOX silencer?

Because the sound was very smooth.

:lol::lol: LOL Joe, I think it has the potential to become my regular hack - it was that good.

I have a couple of ideas for simple mods to help making rigging a bit simpler and as long as those horns stand up to frequent use. I think the carbon fibre versions are going to be needed for the future.