This is a snapshot of the forum as it was on Thursday 2nd Dec 2021. Not everything will work.
It is not possible to login, edit or make any changes and is provided for prosterity for those who wish to view the old content.
C.A.M.F.C - Members & Visitors area

Dilemma

I am looking to replace the engine in my Funtana 40 but I am not sure which engine to go for, I have 2 engines in mind and before Lofty buts in SC is not an option, anyway the choice is Saito 82 GK or a good "ol" OS91FX

The pros and cons are I prefer 2 stoke to 4 storke but the OS91FX is 47g heavier than the Saito 82 and 147g heavier than the OS55AX that I have in there at the moment.

Do you think I am going over board with a 82/91?

I feel the need for more power!

I'm also in the same boat as you...well may!

I need an engine for my P51 Mustang, but its got to be a 4 stroke. In the last few weeks or so, I've hear alot about Saito's and how good they are when it come's to weight VS power!

Most likely going to be an OS anyway, if I can get my hands on one!

Jimbo has a OS 61 in his Kantaner 40 size "sp", and it flow very well today "I think", so maybe go for an engine OS or whatever around 60 size? The OS 91 maybe a bit over kill?

SC is not an option

:lol:

I have a SC 61 & SC 108, they both work great............. at running backwards or not at alll :shock:

Oh I forgot the reason behind this and it invovles Jim YT Katana, now they say the Kantan 40 is a 60size???????? But in the

video the Stuart Chitty is flying it on a os91FX :)

• 9 months later...
  • Club Members

The Power to weight will be all wrong and you ain't gonna like it. Been there, didn't like it. Props to big for the U/C and so on.

Anyway, if you've ordered it you'll have to suck it and see. Good luck XX. :D

PS. Not intended to be a bad reflection on the OS91. In fact, when you've decided to take it out I might make you an offer! :lol:

Hi Peter,

You just replied to a post that will be a year old in 3 days :D

I put the OS91 in the Funtana S40 and it is a perfect match, I had to get one of those BCM Pitts style mufflers for it to work properly.

The Funtana S40 has always seemed a little large for a 40 size aircraft more a 60 size but even Jims Kantana 40 was sluggish vertically on an OS61FX so the OS91FX seems right at home, Jim can vouch on how well it flys on the OS91FX set-up, it is spinning a 15*6 prop with no big issues on ground clearance.

I have to say, its lovely to fly - you can potter about at 1/4 throttle for ages doing lazy loops and rolls etc, then when you come to a wall, it just stops and goes into a prop hang - well it does with Leon anyhow.

With all install like this, its throttle management that counts, and I'm sure the engine would break the airframe if used unwisely.

Leon would never do anything unwise with an airframe though so we are all perfectly safe :)

Leon would never do anything unwise with an airframe though so we are all perfectly safe :)

Why can a hear people rolling around the floor in laughter.............. :shock:

• 1 month later...

How strange I was Googling OS 91 FX and this thread was on the 1st page of the results, this time we are going from a 500g YS63 to an 550g OS91 in the 58" Extra.

Like I've also said, you should have gone for a SC engine........O well in time you will learn, young one!

OS 91 in a Funtana 100X sucks " under powered', I've been told by afew today!

Not much hope for my Funtana 90 than :(.......May just put in a SC 120 FS........not!

Or like you putting a 91 in a 40 size plane, I should put a 180 in my Funtana 90 :shock:

P.S I still have an on going bet, on how long that OS 91 stays on the front of that poor poor little Funtana!

I poo myself a little after seeing the OS91 engine was doing with out the cowling on :?:shock: Better to have it covered and out of sight!

Well seeing as you have seen it without the cowl on did you give it a check. I.E. is the rubbers still in good condition on the mounts and is the mount on there tight as with all rubber mounts they were out in time.

Well seeing as you have seen it without the cowl on did you give it a check. I.E. is the rubbers still in good condition on the mounts and is the mount on there tight as with all rubber mounts they were out in time.

LOL check it out :shock: ! I ran like a little girl as soon as I saw it start up.......to the next field and hide behind one of the horses!

Anway it did look like everything was ok from a mile away :lol:

I now have a 91FX in the Extra 330..................But I need a exhaust to go with it so I have just ordered and inverted one from JEN.