This is a snapshot of the forum as it was on Thursday 2nd Dec 2021. Not everything will work.
It is not possible to login, edit or make any changes and is provided for prosterity for those who wish to view the old content.
C.A.M.F.C - Members & Visitors area

Hawker Hurricane sport scale from plans

• Club Members

Just a couple of pictures of my latest model Hurricane built from plans. Only sport scale this one. I have never made a plane with retracts before. After seeing Andre's YT Spitty I think I will angle them forward slightly to reduce noseovers, as they are only just in front of the CofG.

Wingspan 63" Engine ASP FS70

Retracts.jpg.df37a6716d03e38b378ffb1ec36d85c0.jpg

58d85c7b1c1e2_WingampFus.jpg.180ce52a8f8ad2b70451563b68087c9c.jpg

• Club Members

Hi Gerard,

Traplet. Choose "Product Catalogue" in the menu and scroll down to "Construction Plans". They also sell moulded canopies and cowls, spats etc. for some models.

Also, MyHobbyStore have a good range of plans and hardware.

Are you thinking of building from scratch?

• Club Members

Thanks Trevor.

Lots of temptation there........ I'm now spoilt for choice

This is a great source which has gone straight in my contacts list.

I have never built totally from scratch but would like to on a long term basis. I have returned to the hobby after a 30 year break and am back on a trainer at present.

Everyone seems to build Spitfires and there are many kits out there. However, look for hurricane kits and the results are sparse if not non existent. That in a way is what attracts me to the hurricane along with its history etc.

Hopefully its reputation for strength and resilience transfers into the RC model version if my present flying is anything to go by! :)

• Club Members

If you make it yourself it can be as strong as you want it to be, just have to watch the weight as it is easy to pile on the lb and oz just by adding a bit of strengthening here and there, especially in the tail where every ounce you add to the tail requires about 3x as much added to the front to balance, which makes 4oz added to the overall weight.

• Club Members

Trevor,

Just thought of a plan which is missing from the lists and would be applicable to the present weather conditions

a flying hovercraft! :D

Indeed very nice!

Which Mk is it going to be?! I've always loved the look / meanness of the Hurricane MKIIC "4x 20mm Cannons" or Hurricane IID " 2 x 40mm Cannons & 2 x .303's or 2 x 50.cals" :-

sgun.jpg

• Club Members

That would look great but all those bits sticking out would be victims of hangar rash in next to no time, so I will just cheat and cover the cannon ports with red fabric like they used to to keep the guns from seizing/freezing before they were fired, it's easier that way.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Club Members

Painted in colours I got from a book on the Hurricane (a France based squadron) and "tattified" so it looks as if it has seen action. Humbrol Dark Earth for the camouflage (leaving the base dark green solartex) and matt polyurethane varnish over the top. Underside is night/white. Dry brush Humbrol silver to simulate worn paint on the aluminium panels. A layer of matt polyurethane varnish over the top. Not too much to do now. Wonder if will fly?

Hurri_Painted.jpg.01156a38b775252410b7c7edae64646f.jpg

Edited by Guest
  • 1 month later...
  • Club Members

The Hurricane flew today. It needed 10oz weight in the nose to balance and the final weight is 8lb 4oz (about 3.74 kg).

After spending all afternoon running in and tuning the engine and after a bit of friendly prompting from Roger and others, I finally committed it to the air. It was a bit of an anti-climax really, it took off easily and just needed a bit of down trim. It was quite well behaved and apart from a noseover on landing was uneventful. The engine needs tuning better but I was really pleased.

Some pictures from after the flight:

Hurri_AfterFlying2.jpg.aa33c61598ca418e487a7b55780690ac.jpg

Hurri_AfterFlying1.jpg.0b168dc39d5653345edc3e4f583d6e85.jpg

Hurri_Sunset.jpg.e276bde41d2417e1d93ecedf1b1ac07f.jpg

Edited by Guest
  • Club Members

Glad to have been there to see the maiden flight Trevor.

Great looking and sounding plane and it looks like it will handle beautifully once the trims are sorted and the engine has bedded in fully.

Congratulations again on a great build!

Gerard

• 2 weeks later...