This is a snapshot of the forum as it was on Thursday 2nd Dec 2021. Not everything will work.
It is not possible to login, edit or make any changes and is provided for prosterity for those who wish to view the old content.
C.A.M.F.C - Members & Visitors area

prangy covering

Just to comment on this thread. Jim mentions Methylated Spirit whilst this may work it should be borne in mind that Methylated Spirits does have a small quantity of oil within its make up, a better product for cleaning is IPA ( Iso propyl Alchol) this is used in the car plants to degrease paint surfaces before applying decals or bodyside mouldings etc. It does not leave a residue as does Methylated spirits. I use all the time before sticking anything to cowlings or for generally cleaning models. It is obtainable from most chemists and does not attack foam etc

• 1 year later...
  • Club Members

Plus one for IPA. I bought two quite large bottles mail order last year, however, I'm away from home so not able to check where.

I also use it for positioning double sided taped sponge rubber tyres on model car plastic wheels, it allows the taped wheel to slide into place inside the tyre, then evaporates and help it to stick. They NEVER shift afterwards even with massive g forces on them!

I use a lot of "reinforced tape over EPP" finishing because of the slope soarers I develop for Flying Wings.

I prefer and now use 3M77 spray, expensive and not easy to obtain, certainly NOT the UHU equivalent, nor Prymol or BalsaLoc.

THE best is GOOP, but UK sourcing is a nightmare.

• Administrators
Just to comment on this thread. Jim mentions Methylated Spirit whilst this may work it should be borne in mind that Methylated Spirits does have a small quantity of oil within its make up, a better product for cleaning is IPA ( Iso propyl Alchol) this is used in the car plants to degrease paint surfaces before applying decals or bodyside mouldings etc. It does not leave a residue as does Methylated spirits. I use all the time before sticking anything to cowlings or for generally cleaning models. It is obtainable from most chemists and does not attack foam etc

Hey Peter/anybody...

Would IPA be good for cleaning off Elapor prior to painting, to get off that greasy film they use in the factory to get the foam out of the molds?

The Multi-primer does the same thing, but cost's 5x the price of a bottle of IPA and is a third of the size too..

• Club Members

I would expect it would be fine, can't rememeber if I have used it specifically on this EPP derivative, possibly not, but the simple test is to put a small offcut into some and soak it.

You do keep offcuts for repair purposes?! :wink:

• Administrators
I would expect it would be fine, can't rememeber if I have used it specifically on this EPP derivative, possibly not, but the simple test is to put a small offcut into some and soak it.

You do keep offcuts for repair purposes?! :wink:

I would if I had any but so far, all my elapor models are still in 1 peice, so I dont have any off-cuts...

The only bits I have laying around are EPP from Avicraft...