This is a snapshot of the forum as it was on Thursday 2nd Dec 2021. Not everything will work.
It is not possible to login, edit or make any changes and is provided for prosterity for those who wish to view the old content.
C.A.M.F.C - Members & Visitors area

• Administrators

Hey Guys

Out of interest, and a good way of grabbing the attention of youngsters, does anybody ever invite the Air Training Corp cadets along to the SMAS at all?

If not, is it just because its a pain to organise or there isnt enough hours in the day?

I think it would be a great idea to invite some of the croydon squadrons down for the weekend, and give them a free pass for the show for sat/sun as a way of targeting already keen flyers into the hobby surely?

If its a "lot more bovva than a hovva" then I'll be happy to sort it all out.... :P

Richard,

We aactually discussed the ATC at the last committee meeting.

Firstly, if you want to use them as a resource, then you have to use the squadrons local to where the event is.

Secondly, you have to feed them, and in the past, we have had quite a large bill when faced with 20 teenage burger lusts.

Lastly, we dont have either the time or the desire to supervise them, and the feeling is that you often dont get 100% useful effort (much less to be honest).

All this combined, plus the fact that we dont actually need them, and we decided not to ask them or other similar parties to attend.

Good suggestion though, and thanks for the input - keep it coming,

Jim

• Administrators

I see what your referring to, I wasnt actually meaning to use them as any sort of resource though, I know what they can be like, I was once an NCO, and I wouldnt have asked my lot to do anything important back then lol...

I was thinking more along the lines of simply just saying to them "Hey, do you want to come and watch the show" end of...

No help required, just come along and be a spectator, but without paying to get in, sort of like a "young persons discount" but for already targeted audiences who are somewhat more interested than the average punter, and young enough to be likely to want to take up the hobby...

If they came along in an official capacity, it wouldnt work because they wouldnt get to enjoy it and would just see the hobby as a pain, as they would relate RC Flying to actually working, and they may not be likely to pay to come due to possible lack of parental interest and cost of parents bringing them, so its like there is a perfect audience waiting to join the hobby, who might just need to catch a break to see how cool it is...

I know if I had seen anything like this when I was a cadet I'd have been there like a rocket, and probably wouldnt have spent best part of 15yrs thinking it was all too expensive and never bothering to even look anything up...

If cadets and their taxi drivers/parents could make a day of it, many more might be encouraged to take it up, especially the dads that signed up their cadets in the first place...

ok, switching the light bulb above my head off now....

A few RC shows I go to have the ATC helping out " e.g RAF Cosford & Wings & Wheels". I see them doing thing like manning flight line gate, maybe main gate and car park.

As Jimbo was saying, I don't think we need them at SMAS. We have loads of club members that help out, which is super super great!

Edit :- From talking to some of them, I got the inpression "sp" that there life's were full size and not toys :lol:

• Administrators

Absolutely, full size is a dream for many, but a reality for so few. When I was in the cadets, we used to go to all sorts of shows for free, but whenever it was in the "official capacity" it was sooo boring, and actually felt more like a chore than anything else...

Hence I was thinking invite them along as normal visitors with a free pass so they can actually enjoy the show, leave their uniforms at home and relax and see what fun it actually is, then signup their parents to the hobby, or themselves...

Or, they can just pay like everyone else?

... I think, as I get older, I am turning into the grumpy old man that I warned myself about when I was young ...

Someone get out the humane killer please!

I think, as I get older, I am turning into the grumpy old man that I warned myself about when I was young ...

You said it............................................then again I get accused of that too.